Nebraska Residency Requirements
* * * Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an Online Notary for the Residency Application will be temporarily accepted based on the Governors Executive Order to authorize early implementation of the Online Notary Public Act. The Act allows for an online notary public to notarize a document remotely, without having to be in the principal’s physical presence. For additional information about Online Notary services, please visit https://sos.nebraska.gov/business-services/notary-public. * * *
Important information for residency applicants:
- Qualifying for residency for tuition purposes at the University of Nebraska differs from what is normally required to be considered a "resident" of the State of Nebraska. A person may be considered a "resident" of Nebraska and still be Non-Resident for Tuition purposes.
- Any student who has lived in the state of Nebraska for 12 months or less, or provides any information that indicates that he/ she is possibly not a Nebraska resident for tuition purposes, will be admitted as a non-resident and will need to apply to change his / her status.
- It is the student's responsibility to contest the initial residency decision and meet all appropriate deadlines if they feel the initial determination was wrong. The burden of proof lies solely with the student.
- Mere physical presence in the State of Nebraska, regardless of length of stay, is NOT adequate to prove residency for tuition purposes. Likewise, owning property in the state will NOT result in automatic residency approval.
- Enrollment at any community college, college or university in the State of Nebraska during the 12 months prior to the term for which residency is sought can adversely affect your eligibility. Transcripts from each institution will need to be provided before a final residency decision can be made.
- Complete and submit an Application for Residency Classification.
- Residency questions should be sent to the appropriate office:
|UNO Undergraduate Students||UNO Graduate Students|
Undergraduate Admissions Office
Graduate Studies Office
Residency (Tuition) Programs
Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP)
The University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) offers residents or high school graduates of several southwestern Iowa counties the opportunity to attend UNO at significantly reduced tuition rates through an initiative called the Metropolitan Advantage Program (MAP).
MAP counties include:
Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP)
The University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) participates in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP), an interstate initiative established by the Midwestern Higher Education Compact to increase educational opportunities for students in its member states.
This program serves residents from:
- North Dakota
The Nebraska Legacy Scholarship provides the differential between in-state and out-of-state tuition to incoming freshmen that are children of University of Nebraska graduates. Students eligible for review must rank in the upper one-third of their graduating class or have a minimum ACT composite of 24 or higher (or equivalent on the SAT) and fill out the Legacy Scholarship Application. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years. Please contact the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships for more information.