Multidisciplinary Emphasis, Competitive, Research Intensive
Adithi Chakravarthy, Ph.D. in IT student, received an award for her innovative research on a rare eye disease.
The Ph.D. program in Information Technology at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) is a research-intensive, multidisciplinary program focused around the core areas of computer science, management information systems and interdisciplinary informatics.
Our vision is to become one of the top programs that offer a doctoral degree in information technology, both in terms of scholarship and the placement of our graduates. The program admits exceptional students that have demonstrated a strong foundation in the core areas with high potential and commitment towards future academic achievement and success.
- Understanding of the theory and application of information technology focused around the core areas of computer science, management information systems and interdisciplinary informatics
- Knowledge of the analysis, design, development and implementation of current and future information technologies
- Competence in conducting and managing high-quality, basic and applied research
- Solid grounding in the fundamentals of academic teaching
- Strong foundation in multidisciplinary and emergent areas in information technology
Faculty members are very productive in their research and compete for funding from competitive sources such as the National Science Foundation and the Department of Defense. Most faculty conduct research in one of the three disciplines (computer science, management information systems, interdisciplinary informatics) that comprise our program. Within these areas, research interests include: artificial intelligence, data and text mining, software engineering, biomedical informatics, cybersecurity, data analytics, database management, IT infrastructure and many more.
Our Ph.D. graduates generally enter the workforce in one of two areas: faculty jobs or industry. Teaching experience gained during the PhD program helps many of our students secure faculty positions at a wide variety of institutions. Recent graduates from our program have taken up faculty positions at institutions like Ball State University, the University of North Florida, St. Ambrose University, and Appalacian State University. Our graduates have also had success, taking in dustry posts at organizations such as LG, Paypal, Union Pacific, Intel, NIST, and Argonne National Labs.