General Public Access
Connect with Historic Natural Environments
UNO's preserves are places where all can come to enjoy the beauty and diversity of eastern Nebraska's historic natural environment of prairie, savanna, and woodland. Except when special events are scheduled, the preserves are open to the public throughout the year from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. No fee is charged for use of the preserves. See below for preserve use policies.
Individuals or groups of less than six or so, are free to visit the preserves without scheduling. For groups of six or more individuals, we request that you contact the Preserves Director prior to visiting in order to avoid conflicts with other groups, such as classes, that may be scheduled to use the preserves at the same time.
Organizations, clubs and other structured groups are welcome to visit but need to contact the Preserves Director in order schedule times that do not conflict with use scheduled by others. If available, Preserve staff can accompany you on your walk to answer questions and explain the preserves history, ongoing restoration and research efforts, and future plans. To determine staff availability for a visit, contact the Preserves Director.
The goal of our preserve system is to protect wildlife and their habitat for the enjoyment of present and future generations. To that end, and based on past experience, we have developed the following rules governing use of our preserves:
- Commercial activity, which includes commercial photography, is not permitted.
- Pets are prohibited, whether on or off-leash. Exceptions are made for registered service dogs.
- Collecting or disturbing plants, animals, or other material is not permitted.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- No Camping or open fires are permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the preserve.
- UNO is designated as a smoke-free campus but smoking is also prohibited due to the danger of causing a wildfire.
A full list of conditions for use of the land area may be found within the Visitor Use Policies.