Additional Resources For Success
Preparing For Medical School
- There is no single way to prepare to become a physician. The links below provide guidance from a variety of sources.
- American Medical Student Association
- AMA: Preparing for Medical School
Becoming a Doctor
- Expert Tips on Becoming a Physician
The Student Doctor Network
Preparing for the 2015 MCAT exam
Beyond the MCAT and GPA: Applications that Stand Out
- Financing Your Medical Education
- Brown: Financing Your Medical Education
- MedEd Podcasts
Paying for Medical School
AAMC Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools (FIRST)
Forums are frequently an excellent place to ask and answer questions. However, remember that information you read on forums is not necessarily true- you should independently verify information you read on these forums.
In the 21st century, the role of the physician will be one that undergoes significant change. Changes in compensation and the increase of non-MD primary care clinicians and assistants will have yet-unknown effects on the profession. Students are encouraged to pursue a career in medicine because of their strong interest in the practice of healing, and not for other reasons. Shadowing is an ideal way for students to determine if a career in medicine is right for them.
Is an M.D. right for you?
US News article "A Day in the Life of a Primary Care Physician"
Guardian article "Reality check: Being a doctor doesn't guarantee 'big bucks' anymore"
CNN article "Doctors Going Broke"
2015 MedScape Physician's Lifestyle Report
Why do people decide to become doctors anyway?
Applying to Medical School
Most medical schools use the AMCAS service to process your application. Applying to schools can be costly, time-consuming and stressful. To ensure that your personal statements are at their best, click on the links below for tips on how to write your personal statement, along with secondary essays. To ensure you have budgeted appropriately, review the AMCAS Fee Assistance Program link.
- UNO HCRC Personal Statement Tips
- UNO Pre-Med Committee Meeting Personal Statement Tips
- Personal Statement Failures
- Sample Medical School Personal Statements
- Princeton Review: Writing Your Personal Statement
- Medical School Admissions Myths: Writing Your Personal Statement
- Vanderbilt: Examples of Successful Personal Statements
- Medical School Secondary Essays: The Complete Guide
- School-Specific Input for Secondary Essays
- Princeton Review: 5 Tips for Medical School Secondary Essays
- Medical School Secondary Essay library
Medical School Interviews and Admissions
- Be Prepared for the Medical School Interview
- Medical School Interviews
- Medical School Entrance Chance Predictor
- Lessons for Medical Admissions
Other Helpful Links
For assistance with personal statements, email HCRC's Communication Assistant, Stefanie Neumann at firstname.lastname@example.org.