University Pre-Med Committee
Many universities, including UNO, have formed Pre-medical Committees to help students achieve their goal of admittance to medical school. Receiving Committee sponsorship is vital as many medical schools preferentially select applicants who are committee sponsored; some schools require committee sponsorship. Click the links below to learn more.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater
- Completion of Organic Chemistry I with a C+ or greater
- Completion of at least 10 science credit hours (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at UNO
- Completion of at least one half-day of physician shadowing
*Students lacking one or more requirements may still request Sponsorship: see the application for more information.
Students should seek Pre-Medical Committee sponsorship as soon as they are eligible. UNO students who are selected for Pre-Medical Committee sponsorship are assigned a faculty mentor to help their medical school preparations. In addition, sponsored students are eligible to engage in additional mentoring, shadowing, and other training opportunities.
»To apply, download the Application Form and closely follow the instructions.
Professional Portrait Photograph
Your application requires a professional headshot of yourself. It is likely that this photograph will be sent to the medical schools to which you apply.
UNO has an arrangement with (and students are expected to use) The Village Photographer to receive a professional photo. They offer UNO Pre-Med students a special rate for photos. Students who wish to substitute a previous professional photo of equal quality and compatible characteristics must receive PRIOR approval from the Pre-Medical Committee chair (Dr. Paul Davis) at least 4 weeks before submitting your application. Students who do not receive their professional headshot from the Village Photographer will be omitted from the biannual Premedical Committee Poster.
»Contact The Village Photographer: Village Photographer | (402) 551-4205
Where do I send my application?
We prefer applicants to email their application to email@example.com in PDF form. Students may also turn in a paper copy to Allwine Hall 307. Application due dates for each year are January 20th and August 20th.
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges:
"Medical schools value committee letters because they provide an integrated and institutional perspective on an applicant’s readiness for medical school. They provide a comprehensive evaluation of applicants based on direct observation and the synthesis of information provided by faculty and others. This integrated perspective provides unique and valuable information about applicants." (AAMC Guidelines for Writing a Letter)
To receive a committee-authored letter, download the Letter Request Form and closely follow the instructions. Important recommended timelines for your application and other requirements are outlined on the form.
Only Committee-sponsored students are eligible to receive a Committee Letter. Nearly all medical schools consider the single committee-authored letter as sufficient for completing the letter of reference requirements. You are encouraged to review the Committee Letter Format.
»Please email your letter request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr Paul Davis, Biology (Committee Chair)
- Dr. William Tapprich, Biology
- Dr. Christine Cutucache, Biology
- Mr. Bradley Jezewski, Biology
- Dr. Karen Murch-Shafer, Biology
- Dr. Mark Pauley, IS&T Bioinformatics
- Dr. Jim Rogers, Mathematics
- Dr Brigette Ryalls, Psychology
- Dr. Katie Shirazi, Biology
- Dr. Janelle Beadle, Gerontology
- Ms. Clare Maakestad, Sociology
- Dr. John Conrad, Chemistry
- Dr. Jodi Kreiling, Chemistry
- Dr. Dario Ghersi, IS&T Interdisciplinary Informatics
- »Pre-Medical Committee Application
- »Pre-Med Committee Professional Photo Requirements
- »Pre-Medical Committee Authored Letter Request Form
- »Pre-Medical Committee Letter Format