University Pre-Med Committee
Many universities, including UNO, have formed Pre-medical Committees to help students achieve their goal of admittance to medical school. Receiving Committee sponsorship is vital as many medical schools preferentially select applicants who are committee sponsored; some schools require committee sponsorship.
General Minimum Requirements for Committee Selection*
- As a pre-medical student, you should aim to accomplish these requirements as soon as possible.
- • Cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater
- • Completion of Organic Chemistry I with a C+ or greater
- • Completion of at least 10 science credit hours (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at UNO
- • Completion of at least one half-day of physician shadowing
*Students lacking one or more requirements may still request Sponsorship: see the application for more information.
Apply to the Pre-Med Committee
Students should seek Pre-med Committee sponsorship as soon as they are eligible. UNO students who are selected for Pre-medical Committee sponsorship are assigned a faculty mentor to help their medical school preparations. In addition, sponsored students are eligible to engage in additional mentoring, shadowing, and other training opportunities.
To apply, download the Application Form and closely follow the instructions.
Professional Portrait Photograph
Your application requires a professional portrait photograph of yourself. It is likely that this photograph will be sent to the medical schools to which you apply. Click here for photo requirements.
*As we are still working remotely, please email your committee authored letter request form to firstname.lastname@example.org*
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges:
"Medical schools value committee letters because they provide an integrated and institutional perspective on an applicant’s readiness for medical school. They provide a comprehensive evaluation of applicants based on direct observation and the synthesis of information provided by faculty and others. This integrated perspective provides unique and valuable information about applicants." (AAMC Guidelines for Writing a Letter)
To receive a committee-authored letter, download the Letter Request Form and closely follow the instructions. Important recommended timelines for your application and other requirements are outlined on the form.
Only Committee-sponsored students are eligible to receive a Committee letter. Nearly all medical schools consider the single committee-authored letter as sufficient for completing the letter of reference requirements. You are encouraged to review the Committee Letter Format.
Members of the UNO Pre-medical Committee:
- Dr Paul Davis, Biology (Committee Chair)
- Dr. William Tapprich, Biology
- Dr. Christine Cutucache, Biology
- Mr. Bradley Jezewski, Biology
- Dr. Karen Murch-Shafer, Biology
- Dr. Mark Pauley, IS&T Bioinformatics
- Dr. Jim Rogers, Mathematics
- Dr Brigette Ryalls, Psychology
- Dr. LaReesa Wolfenbarger, Biology
- Dr. Katie Shirazi, Biology
- Dr. Janelle Beadle, Gerontology
- Ms. Clare Maakestad, Sociology
- Dr. John Conrad, Chemistry
- Dr. Jodi Kreiling, Chemistry
- Dr. Dario Ghersi, IS&T Interdisciplinary Informatics