The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). It is the first Computer Science Undergraduate Program accredited in Nebraska.
BSCS Educational Objectives
Graduates of the BSCS program will:
- Have acquired knowledge of computer science in core areas and paradigms.
- Have gained analytical and experimental problem-solving skills in computer science discipline.
- Be able to identify solutions to computational problems and implement them using knowledge acquired.
- Have developed communication skills required for computer science profession.
- Have accumulated experience in collaborative efforts of problem solving.
- Be able to engage in continuing professional development and services.
BSCS Student Outcomes
The program enables students to achieve the following abilities by the time of graduation:
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline;
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution;
- An ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs;
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal;
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security, and social issues and responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, continuing professional development
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practices
- An ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices
- An ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity.