Educator Preparation Program Admission Procedures
All Pre-Education students interested in becoming teachers must formally apply for admission to the Educator Preparation Program; admission is selective. The following requirements must be met prior to submitting an application for admission to educator preparation. Admission is a two-step process detailed below.
Step 1 - Application to Program
- Admission to UNO
- Completion of ENGL 1150, ENGL 1160, CMST 1110, or CMST 2120, and MATH STEM 1120, MATH 1130, MATH 1220, MATH 1310, MATH 1530, STAT 1100, or math proficiency ACT score of 23 or higher, TED 2100 and TED 2200. Note: Students may apply for admission in the semester in which they take TED 2100 or TED 2200. General education courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better and all education courses must be completed with a grade of C or better before acceptance into educator preparation will be official.
- GPA Requirements (UNO Students)
- Currently enrolled UNO students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- GPA Requirements (Transfer Students)
- Transfer students with 12 or more credit hours in the Nebraska System (UNL, UNK, UNO) must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all attempted coursework taken in the NU System.
- Transfer students with credit hours from institutions other than the NU System must have a minimum combined cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all attempted coursework.
- Grades must be posted before packet is submitted: fall semester grades for March 1 deadline, spring semester grades for June 1 deadline, and summer semester grades for October 1 deadline.
- Recommended, but not required. Pass the Praxis CORE Academic Skills for Education test within your first year at UNO. You MUST pass the test before formal admission to the program. Passing CORE scores are Reading 156, Writing 162, and Mathematics 150. If you took the PRAXIS PPST test prior to the transition to CORE, 173 is the minimum passing scores for all sections.
- GPA of 2.75 or higher.*
- Transfer students with 12 or more credit hours in the Nebraska System (UNL, UNK, UNO) must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all attempted coursework taken in the NU System.
- Transfer students with credit hours from institutions other than the NU System must have a minimum combined cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all attempted coursework.
- Completion of TED 2300 and TED 2400 with a grade of C or higher.
- Pass the Praxis CORE Academic Skills for Educators test. Passing scores are Reading 156, Writing 162, and Mathematics 150.**
- Students who do not pass TED 2300 or TED 2400 with a grade of C or higher and the PRAXIS CORE test will not be permitted to continue in the Educator Preparation Program course sequence until these requirements are met.
Step 1 Deadlines
- Fall Semester - March 1
- Fall Semester - June 1
- Spring Semester - October 1
Step 2 Deadlines
- Fall Semester -November 30
- Spring Semester - May 30
Spring 2020 semester only deadline extended to August 1.
DUE TO UNO’S TRANSITION TO REMOTE LEARNING THIS SEMESTER, applications for June 1, will be submitted electronically. Complete the form online (all of the forms are fillable). Be sure and complete the forms in their entirety. If you do not have 12 hours or more of coursework in the Nebraska system (UNL, UNO, UNK), the office will verify your combined GPA on the UNO system. When you have finished, click on the â in the top right hand corner to download the completed application packet. This will download the packet to your desktop. Email the packet to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email will be your signature. You do not need to include your unofficial transcript. The office will look up your transcript on the system to verify your eligibility to apply. If you have classes from other institutions such as Metropolitan Community or Iowa Western and transcripts have not been sent to UNO, please attach a copy of your unofficial transcript from that institution to your email. Any questions can be directed to Lorraine Street at email@example.com or your advisor.
All application materials must be submitted together as a packet. All forms and information needed to prepare the application packet are available by clicking on the link below.
UNO Unofficial Transcript
BACKGROUND CHECK: All students accepted into the Educator Preparation Program are required to do a background check with the vendor selected by UNO. The instructions for completing the background check are provided to the students when they are accepted into the program. The cost of the background check is $33.17.