BS in MIS Degree
Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems
The student will learn how the computer can be applied to produce information both for controlling the day-to-day operations of a business and for planning for the future of that business. Information systems and quantitative analysis produces the educational background appropriate for pursuing career opportunities in business data management, management information systems, information centers, systems analysis, systems design, decision support, information security, electronic commerce, and other related areas.
- A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for the degree.
- Students may follow the UNO catalog requirements in effect at the time of their first enrollment, provided continuous enrollment is maintained (fall, spring, fall, spring…).
- Thirty of the last 36 hours must be University of Nebraska at Omaha courses.
- Registering for courses without having taken the stated prerequisites could result in administrative withdrawal.
- Courses such as English 1050, 1090, and 1100 and orientation courses in other colleges or divisions may not be counted as part of the minimum 120 credit hours in the degree program. University Seminar 1010 may be applied as an elective if taken in the first 30 hours of the degree program.
- No more than four semester hours of physical education may count toward the degree.
- No more than a maximum of 12 semester credit hours of approved courses may be taken in any one department outside of the College of IS&T with the exception of foreign languages. A maximum of 16 semester credit hours in any one foreign language may be applied to the degree. More than one foreign language is allowed.
- A repeated course may count only once for graduation. (Exceptions are internships, independent studies, physical education activity courses, and special topic courses).
- Students must see a College of IS&T advisor regarding the specific requirements for their major. Advising appointments can be scheduled online in MavTrack or by contacting the College of IS&T Academic Advising Office at 402.554.3819.
- Students must obtain a grade of "C-" or better in each class for the purpose of meeting general education, Departmental, and College requirements with the exception of ECON 2200 and ACCT 2010, which require a grade of “C” or better to continue on with ACCT 2020 and ECON 2220. Students are also responsible for meeting the specific prerequisites of the upper-level business co-requisite courses. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required by the College of Information Science and Technology.
- Students must complete an online Application for Degree form through Mavlink on or before the deadline during the semester in which they plan to graduate. An Application for Degree fee is payable at the time the application is submitted. Students should visit the UNO Bookstore as soon as possible after submitting the degree application to order a cap and gown and graduation announcements. Deadlines to order graduation items vary depending on the ceremony in which the student plans to participate. Please contact the UNO Bookstore at 402.554.2336 with any questions.
General Education Requirements
See UNO’s general education website for a list of categories and approved courses:
Management Information Systems (BS MIS) Major Requirements
- 21 hours of IS&T Core courses
- 21 hours of Management Information Systems Core courses
- 6 hours of Mathematics courses
- 15 hours of co-requisite Business courses
- 12 hours of Specialization Elective courses
Management Information Systems Core courses for the current catalog can be found in the Management Information Systems Matriculation Form.