Students selected for Young Scholars typically meet the following criteria:
- Candidates who can demonstrate financial need but who are not eligible for Pell Grants (i.e. Estimated Family Income (EFC) slightly exceeds the amount for Pell Grant eligibility) or other significant scholarships/financial aid
- Graduates of Omaha metro-area high schools
- First-generation college students (i.e. neither parent or guardian received a degree from a 4-year college or university)
In addition to the above criteria, candidates that are selected typically demonstrate the following qualities:
- High level of responsibility and reliability in following through with commitments
- Strong motivation to attend college and complete their degree
- Interest in participating in activities such as community service projects, and student organizations or activities
While there is no academic requirement to be eligible, such as a specific ACT score, students must first be admitted to UNO and have completed a FAFSA that is on file with UNO before their Young Scholars application will be considered.
Please note: current UNO students are not eligible to apply for the Young Scholars Program at this time. Applicants must be current high school seniors or community college students interested in attending UNO during the upcoming school year.
If you are a high school senior or community college student that meets the criteria listed above, please consider applying to the the Young Scholars program.
Applications for the Young Scholars Program are completed through Mavlink. To access the application, please complete the following steps:
- Log in to Mavlink using your NU ID and password
- Click the Financial Aid tab on the left of the page
- Click the Apply for Scholarships tab
- Complete and submit the General Application Questions for UNO-wide scholarships
- Complete the Young Scholars Program application - Note: if you do not see the Young Scholars Program application after completing the General Application Questions and feel that you meet the selection criteria, you can click the ‘Opportunities’ tab, followed by ‘Ours’ to view and search for UNO scholarships
The following materials are required to be submitted through the application on Mavlink. Please note: all materials must be submitted before the application is considered complete.
- 2-3 page essay outlining your background and educational goals. In your essay, please include your thoughts on why you are interested in attending UNO, your possible major and career plans, your current plans to pay for college, and how being involved in this scholarship program might impact your educational and career goals.
- You must provide the name and email address of one reference. This person should be a high school teacher/counselor, UNO faculty/staff member, or advisor from an educational organization (such as Avenue Scholars or College Possible). The reference you list will be sent an email asking to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Copy of transcripts from most recent school (high school or community college) - unofficial copies are accepted.
- Note: you are strongly encouraged to have completed your FAFSA prior to completing your application.
The deadline to submit applications via Mavlink is April 1. Review of applications takes place throughout the course of the school year. After your application is submitted and reviewed, you may be contacted to come to campus for a personal interview. Final selections are typically made in mid-June.
PLEASE NOTE: In past years, applications had been submitted and collected through email or US mail to the Young Scholars program office. Applications now MUST be submitted through Mavlink.
All questions can be directed to: