Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Young Scholars Program?
The Young Scholars Program is a Learning Community at UNO. The program provides a full financial scholarship, as well as academic support to select students on campus.
2. Who is eligible for the Young Scholars Program?
Strong preference is given to candidates who meet some or all of the following criteria:
- Candidates who can demonstrate financial need but who are not eligible for Pell Grants (i.e. Estimated Family Income (EFC) slightly exceeds the amount for Pell Grant eligibility)
- Graduates of Omaha metro-area high schools
- First-generation college students (i.e. neither parent or guardian received a degree from a 4-year college or university)
3. How do I apply for the Young Scholars Program?
Click here for specific information on the application and selection process. If you are a high school student or Metro Community College student who meets the criteria for selection, please feel free to call the Young Scholars office at 402.554.3510 if you have further questions.
4. What financial assistance does the Young Scholars Program provide?
The Young Scholars Program provides a full scholarship that can be applied to tuition, fees, books, and in some cases, campus housing.
5. What other assistance does the Young Scholars Program provide?
Young Scholars meet periodically with an academic mentor throughout the semester. When necessary, the academic mentor may refer students to support services such as the Writing Center, Academic & Career Development Center, Counseling Center, or other such support services on campus. Young Scholars also complete weekly study hours which provide the opportunity for academic assistance.
6. Where is the Young Scholars Program office located?
The Young Scholars office is located in Kayser Hall 334. The office is furnished with several individual and group study spaces, desktop computers, a printer for students' use, a conference room with seating for up to 10 people, and lounge spaces.
7. Can the scholarship be renewed?
Yes. The scholarship can be renewed until completion of an undergraduate degree, or until a student earns 150 credit hours.
8. What is required for renewal in the Young Scholars Program?
Young Scholars are required to maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA. Additional requirements include membership in a UNO Student Organization, completion of weekly study hours in the program office, periodic meetings with an academic mentor, and participation in a service project. Specific details are provided at the beginning of each semester.
9. What happens if I do not meet GPA or other renewal requirements?
If your GPA falls below 2.5 or you fail to meet any of the other pre-determined requirements of the program, you will be required to meet with the Young Scholars Program staff in order to determine appropriate course of action. Please note that failure to meet program requirements may result in being removed from the scholarship program.
10. How are books purchased for Young Scholars?
Young Scholars may use their MavCARD to purchase books in UNO's bookstore. The receipt must be submitted to Young Scholars staff in order to have the book charges covered by the scholarship.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.