Students who are assigned to teach a course will be designated as the instructor for a section of the course and will be trained and evaluated by a mentor before teaching the course.
Method of Allocation
The steps to being allocated as a teaching assistant for a course are:
- The student will inform the DPC chair about the plan to teach a course, along with a list of preferred courses.
- If the student is teaching a course for the first time, this information should be sent TWO semesters before the semester in which the planned course is intended to be offered.
- If the student has taught the course in the past, this information should be sent ONE semester before the semester in which the planned course is intended to be offered.
- The DPC chair will consult with the unit chairs responsible for course scheduling to determine the need of instructors for different courses in order to make a suitable allocation.
- The student will undergo mentorship under the faculty member responsible for teaching the course by attending the lectures and doing additional duties as determined by the mentor, ONE semester BEFORE the semester in which the planned course will be offered.
The student will be assigned as an instructor for the planned course, if, after undergoing the mentorship, the mentor determines the student is suitable for teaching the course.