Frequently Asked Questions
NOTE: Our locations in Criss Library and Mammel Hall are closed until further notices. All Writing Center services are currently online only. Orientations, workshops, and all other in-person services and events are cancelled until further notice. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What is the UNO Writing Center?
2. Where is the Writing Center located?
3. When is the Writing Center open?
4. Who can visit the UNO Writing Center?
5. Why should I use the Writing Center?
6. How can I make an appointment?
7. Can I just stop by for help?
8. How many appointments may I make?
9. Who are the writing consultants?
10. When should I meet with a writing consultant?
11. How does an individual consultation work?
12. Do I need to bring a printed copy of my writing?
13. Can I print a draft of my writing at the Writing Center?
14. Why won't a consultant edit my paper for me?
15. Will the Writing Center help with collaboratively written papers?
The Writing Center is a place where you can meet with a trained writing consultant to talk about any writing project on which you are working. We work with writers on:
- Course papers
- Cover letters
- Scholarly articles
- Theses & Dissertations
- Fiction, non-fiction, and poetry
Your consultant will answer questions, provide feedback, and coach you through any stage of your writing process from brainstorming to final editing.
We have four locations:
- Our Main Location is on the first floor of Arts and Sciences Hall, Room 150 (ASH 150).
- The Scott Campus Satellite is located in Mammel Hall, Room 131 (MH 131).
- At Criss Library, you can find our Library Satellite on the main floor (2nd floor) just past the circulation desk.
- The Writing Center @ UNMC is located in the Student Life Center.
- To make an online appointment, choose appointment times with "face-to-face or online" under consultant's name.
Summer hours-- M/W 10-3, T/TH 2-7
The Writing Center is open Sundays 1-4, Monday-Thursday 9am-8pm, and Fridays 9am-12pm. UNMC hours are 2-7pm Wednesday-Thursday.
UNO & UNMC students, faculty, and staff from any department are welcome to use the Writing Center free of charge. Writers at any skill level or any stage of the writing process can use the center to work on writing in any discipline or subject matter.
Talking to another writer about your writing can be valuable at any stage of the writing process, whether you are starting to gather ideas or nearly finished with a final draft. The center’s writing consultants can help you in any of the following areas:
• Deciding on a topic
• Generating ideas
• Focusing, organizing, or expanding your ideas
• Improving your grammar and your writing style
• Handling technical details of documentation and format
• Overcoming writer’s block
• Understanding different forms of writing
• Becoming a more confident, comfortable writer
Go to our Make an Appointment page. If this will be your first appointment, you will first need to register using your UNO email address. Once registered, you can view our schedule and select a time that works best for you.
If you have trouble registering or scheduling your appointment, please email email@example.com
Appointments are required. All services are currently online only.
Our scheduling software will allow you to schedule up to one hour per day and two hours per week in any combination of half-hour- or hour-long appointments. If you need more time, please talk with a member of our staff. Using our scheduling system, you may schedule appointments well in advance – up to the end of the current semester.
The writing consultants are undergraduates, graduate teaching assistants from the English Department, graduate consultants funded by Graduate Studies and UNMC, interns, and volunteers. They undergo extensive training to work with writers across academic disciplines and with writing in a growing range of genres.
Ideally you should plan to meet with a consultant well before your assignment is due so that you will have time to incorporate changes you discuss with your writing consultant. Using our scheduling system, you may schedule appointments well in advance – up to the end of the current semester.
However, talking to another writer about your writing can be valuable at any stage of the writing process, whether you are starting to gather ideas or nearly finished with a final draft.
Typically, clients meet one-on-one with a trained consultant who will:
• Discuss your assignment or project requirements
• Identify your goals for the session
• Read the paper aloud with you
• Share feedback and ask you to share your thoughts
• Help you set goals for the next step
We do not require you to bring a printed copy of your writing, but many writers and consultants find working in hard copy to be most productive. If you prefer, you can use your own laptop, tablet, or other digital device to access your writing. The Writing Center also has a limited supply of laptops on which you can access your work online or through a flash drive.
Printing is not available at the Writing Center. However, UNO’s Information Services offers a list of printing locations across campus.
Our goal is to make you a self-sufficient editor of your own writing, and doing the work for you will not achieve that goal. Instead, we will help you identify errors in your writing and help you learn ways to correct or avoid them.
Yes, consultants are happy to work with students on group projects. We will work with you on sections of the paper that you crafted. If you want feedback on the whole paper, the whole group should participate in the consultation.