Master of Arts in History - Thesis Option
MA in History - Thesis Option
The thirty-six hour thesis program includes six (6) hours of thesis credit plus thirty (30) credit hours in graduate coursework. This program is especially recommended for students who wish to continue work toward a PhD, but is open to any student. Students intending to write a thesis are encouraged, but not required, to complete HIST8030, Graduate Historical Methodology.
In planning their program of study, all candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
• Complete at least three hours of HIST 9100
• Complete at least three hours of HIST 9200
• Complete at least three further hours from either HIST 9100 or HIST 9200
• Complete at least three more hours of coursework in “graduate student only” courses
• Students completing an MA with thesis may include no more than 3 hours total from among HIST 8010 and HIST 8020
Students who intend to write a thesis should bear in mind that this is a substantial undertaking of focused research, background reading, writing, and revision. An MA thesis must present original research and provide evidence of both extensive research in primary sources as well as engagement with current scholarship on the subject in question. Students should develop some idea of a topic well before they complete their coursework and, in conjunction with the Graduate Program Chair, determine which department member is best suited to supervise this thesis. Each member of the department has complete discretion as to whether or not he or she will work with a particular student and whether the proposed topic is acceptable. Further discussion on thesis topics will be addressed during advising and/or new-student orientation.
Students are also expected to create a Thesis Committee, in consultation with their Thesis Advisor. The Committee is made up of University of Nebraska faculty members who are knowledgeable about the thesis topic. The Committee will consist of at least three members, all of whom except for ex officio members must be Graduate Faculty in the University of Nebraska system (UNK, UNO, or UNL). A History Thesis Committee will include the following:
1. Thesis Advisor from Department of History
2. At least one additional member from within the History Department
3. At least one outside member from another academic department at UNO, or someone who is on the Graduate Faculty at UN-Kearney or UN-Lincoln