Master of Arts in History - Non-Thesis Option
MA in History - Non-Thesis Option
The non-thesis option includes thirty-six (36) hours of graduate courses under one of the following options:
1. A total of thirty-six (36) hours of graduate coursework in history.
2. Twenty-seven (27) hours of approved graduate coursework in history plus nine (9) approved hours of graduate course work in a related field that will constitute a minor. Permission to take a graduate minor must be obtained from the Graduate Program Chair and/or the History Department Graduate Committee. The department in which the minor is planned must be consulted to determine the student's eligibility to do graduate work in that department.
3. Twenty-seven (27) hours of approved graduate coursework in history, plus nine (9) approved hours of graduate coursework in ethnic, gender, urban, regional or other approved thematic study from two or more departments other than the history department. Permission to take a thematic studies program must be approved by the Graduate Program Chair and/or the History Department Graduate Committee.
In planning their program of study, all candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
• Complete at least three hours of HIST 9100
• Complete at least six hours of HIST 9200
• Complete at least a further three hours from either HIST 9100 or HIST 9200
• Complete at least a further six hours in “graduate student only” courses.
• Students completing an MA without thesis may include no more than 6 hours total from among HIST 8010 and HIST 8020.
Candidates who elect the MA without thesis options are required to take comprehensive exams after completing all their course work. The exact content of these exams will be determined in consultation with the Graduate Program Chair. Further details will be provided during advising and/or new student orientation.