First Year Students
First Year Orientation at UNO
Step 1: Complete Online Orientation
Step 2: Attend an In-Person Enrollment Day
New student orientation is a two-step process for all incoming first year students at UNO consisting of Online Orientation and an in-person Enrollment Day where you will meet with an academic advisor and enroll in classes. Read how to register and start your onboarding process below!
Registering for Online Orientation and Your Enrollment Day
Registration for Fall 2022 Online Orientation and Enrollment Days is now available!
- In your MavLINK account, click the Admissions drop-down menu located on the left-hand side of the home page. Click the “Undergrad Orientation Signup” link. The registration form will pop up in a separate window.
- Review your personal information and intended major before completing the form.
- Follow the instructions for registration. Select the an Enrollment Day event that works for your schedule. If you are a member of a UNO Learning Community, be sure to choose the designated Enrollment Day from the list of available events.
Sign up for both Online Orientation and your in-person Enrollment Day in one place at one time on MavLINK. After registering, your "Sign up for orientation" to-do list item will be removed from your MavLINK account within 1 business day.
The Online Orientation course is now available in Canvas! You will have access within 24-48 hours of registering.
The first step of the onboarding experience for first year students is completing Online Orientation, a mandatory course that introduces you to success resources, academic expectations, and campus life at UNO.
You must complete Online Orientation before meeting with your academic advisor and enrolling in classes. The online orientation should be completed at least one week prior to your in-person Enrollment Day.
Online Orientation Instructions
• Within 48 hours of registering for orientation, you will have access to the Online Orientation course found in your Canvas dashboard.
• You can complete the course any time that works with your schedule after gaining access.
• Online Orientation takes approximately 120 minutes to complete and features modules with videos, written materials, and short quizzes.
• You can complete the course in multiple sessions - your progress will be saved. Just log back into Canvas to pick up where you left off.
• After completing the required modules, you must complete a survey and pass the a comprehensive quiz with a 70% or higher.
Your Orientation Hold
You will see a "Complete Orientation" hold on your MavLINK account. This will be removed on the day of your Enrollment Day before you meet with your advisor as long as you have completed Online Orientation and passed the comprehensive quiz.
Distance Students and Opting Out of Enrollment Days
First year students who live more than 250 miles away from UNO or request to opt-out of the in-person Enrollment Days must complete Online Orientation in Canvas and then schedule an individual academic advising appointment. After you have completed Online Orientation and passed the comprehensive quiz, your "Complete Orientation" hold will be removed within one (1) business day. Find your advisor's contact information here.
We can't wait to see you on campus for your Enrollment Day! During this full-day event, you will be connected to campus offices and resources, meet other incoming freshman students, explore involvment opportunities, and attend academic advising where the advising team from your program will help you choose classes and set your schedule for the upcoming semester.
Enrollment Days are hosted in Mammel Hall on Scott Campus. View campus maps here and check back soon for parking information and directions!
Preparing for Your Enrollment Day
Be sure to accomplish the tasks below before your in-person Enrollment Day:• Online Orientation - Finish the course at least one week before your Enrollment Day.
• Placement Exams - To see which placement exams you need to complete, check your MavLINK account. More information on placement exams can be found here.
• Check your MavLINK for any admissions or financial holds that will prevent you from registering for classes.
• Gather your unofficial highschool and college transcripts, and bring them with you to your Enrollment Day.
Dress in comfortable shoes and attire as you will walk to various locations across campus throughout the day.
Enrollment Day Schedule and Programming
Your Enrollment Day is packed with information and activities - view the schedule below! Refreshments and lunch are provided for students and up to two guests.
Check-in – 8-9 A.M.
• Arrive at Mammel Hall and check in to receive materials for the day. Plan to arrive early enough to get settled before the program begins at 9 A.M.
Presentations and Conference Sessions – 9-11:30 A.M.
• Hear from and connect with campus offices, prepare for your advising session, and explore all that UNO has to offer in several sessions spanning the morning.
Lunch – 11:30 A.M.-1:15 P.M.
• This is your time to meet other new students and chat with folks from UNO. Plus, lunch is on us!
Enrollment and Family Program – 1:15-3:30 P.M.
• Students will split into groups to meet with their academic advisors and enroll in classes while the family members attend their own session.
Closing Celebration– 3-5 P.M.
• After you enroll in classes, meet back up for games, music, and a chance to check off some to-do list items with offices from around campus.
Family and Guests at Enrollment Days
You are welcome to invite up to two (2) family members or guests to join you at your Enrollment Day. Be sure to fill out the guest information when registering for orientation in MavLINK if others will attend with you. Guests will participate in some sessions with you, and then attend the Family Program while you meet with your advisor. Due to Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations, family members and guests will not attend academic advising with their students.
How do I change my major?
If you no longer plan to pursue the major you indicated when you applied for admission, a change of major request must be made in writing to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at email@example.com (include your name and NUID).
To ensure that you are scheduled to meet with the appropriate advising team, please change your major prior to registering for orientation.
All enrolled students born after 1956 are required to submit an official copy of their immunization records showing two measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccinations or a positive rubeola titer. To submit an official copy of these records, you must upload them through the immunization portal on MavLINK under "Profile". See additional information about this process.
Our Family Resources website is your one-stop shop for the information about on-campus support you need along your student's college journey. Here you can sign up for our Maverick Family Newsletter, find important updates about campus operations, and more!
Check out our Family Orientation webpage to view short videos and a to-do list of next steps for family members and students. It's easy to navigate and available online 24/7.
2021-2022 Welcome Guide
View the Resource Guide for a quick reference of everything UNO has to offer. Visit Maverick Landing to pick up a physical copy complete with a student planner!
Download the interactive PDF version to have all of the information at your fingertips!