About Digital Signage on Campus
The Office of Strategic Marketing and Communications (MarComm) maintains an inventory of digital signs inside buildings on campus. MarComm and campus partners design promotional content for these signs and share them accordingly.
Terms to Know
Digital Sign: a TV screen or monitor used to display announcements and event info in buildings around campus.
Digital Sign Graphic: The actual image or video that is displayed on the digital signs.
- Monument Sign: Digital monument signs are a public-facing communication tool that promotes events and reinforces our strategic and academic priorities to the campus, Omaha, and those visiting the area.
Building Manager/Digital Sign Manager: People in each building/college who control and schedule the digital sign graphics for that building/college's digital signs.
Four Winds: Sign display software used to manage and schedule digital sign graphics on the digital signs.
Digital Signage Folders: Folders within OneDrive that act as drop points for digital sign graphics that can be collected by sign managers and run on their digital signs.
Building Playlist: A list of digital sign graphics managed by a digital sign manager for their building/college. Multiple playlists can be created for different uses.
Campus Playlist: A list of digital sign graphics managed by UComm, that automatically display on all digital signs connected to the same Four Winds network. One graphic from the campus playlist will show on a digital sign for each full round of the sign's own content.
Sign Locations and Sizes
Please contact the MarComm Content Manager with any additions or updates to this inventory list.
- College of Arts and Sciences (1920x1080)
- Community Engagement Center (1080x1920)
- College of Communication, Fine Arts and Media (1080x1920)
- College of Business Administration (1920x1080) and (1080x1920)
- College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences (1920x1080)
- College of IS&T (1920x1080)
- College of Public Affairs and Community Service (1057x967)
- Community Engagement Center (1080x1920)
- Criss Library (1920x1080)
- Health and Kinesiology (1280x720)
- Maverick Landing (1920x1080)
- Milo Bail Student Center (1920x1080)
- University Housing (1920x1080)
- WEPA Self-serve printers (1280x960)
Have Lucidpress access from MarComm? Look for easy-to-use digital sign templates after clicking on the "Templates" tab. If you'd like to learn more about Lucidpress, contact MarComm.
How Signs Are Managed
The content for digital signs within a campus building is largely managed by a representative of the college or department, usually a key communicator.
Most buildings on campus are in the process of transitioning to Four Winds to manage their signs or are fully operational within FourWinds. This allows for easy updating and maintenance of content on the signs; as well as the sharing of emergency content.
The overarching campus digital signage strategy is managed by MarComm, including the curation of a campus playlist. This playlist plays in addition to the building playlist(s). MarComm also manages Digital Signage Box Folders – folders within OneDrive that act as drop points for digital sign graphics that can be collected by sign managers and run on their digital signs.
Building Playlists (Building Manager/Digital Sign Manager)
Each area has its own requirements for what can and cannot be promoted on the signs and the building playlist(s). To inquire about adding a sign to your building's playlist, please contact the MarComm Content Manager to get connected with the appropriate individual.
Campus Playlist (MarComm)
The campus playlist is managed by MarComm, and is being revised to focus on content that mirrors the content that is shared in The Bullseye and on UNO's official social media platforms:
supports retention efforts
informs students about ways to stay involved on campus
gives students the tools and resources they need to feel supported academically, emotionally, financially, and beyond
Content Planning and Getting Started
Before creating content for the digital signs, please keep in mind:
the average sign only displays for 10 seconds at a time
the campus playlist will run on all building signs in addition to the building playlist(s), the less content on a playlist the better
- if you're promoting an event, allow at least a month of promotional time to increase the likelihood your sign is seen
content should be timely and updated often, outdated signs cause people to ignore them
QR codes can be hard to scan if the viewer is not prepared, your sign also needs to include quick content and where to learn more (shortened URLs)
Want Help Planning Your Content or Getting Started?
Please contact the MarComm Content Manager for a consultation on managing your content on the digital signs or help getting started with digital signs and FourWinds.
The signs are a public-facing communication tool and serve as a representation of the university; therefore, all requests must have public appeal. In order for an event to be included on the signs, it must be open to the public. We reserve the right to determine what content is displayed at which digital signage location(s).
- MarComm manages the digital monument signs
- Facilities maintain the hardware
- Information Technology Services maintains the software
Any registered student organization, department, or office may request promotion on the digital monument signs. Weitz Community Engagement Center partners may use this tool if events are on campus and include a service-learning component that will benefit the UNO and Omaha communities.
Items must have general public appeal and support the university’s strategic and academic priorities and/or general UNO brand awareness.Announcements may not contain the following:
- Material that violates university policies, affirmative action, local ordinance, state, or federal laws
- Political endorsements or partisan political material
- Material that contains libelous or obscene language
- Personal ads
- Tobacco, alcoholic beverages, gaming, or other addictive or age-restricted activities, regardless of the sponsorship of the event