Funding & Access to Capital
- Identify federal agencies with R&D interest in your technology
- Understand the SBIR/STTR application process—obtaining required registrations, reviewing and improving your proposal, communicating with agency program manager, and staying on top of deadlines
- Put your venture in front of other funding sources such as private investors, state programs and other grant opportunities
- Understand investor requirements and create an effective presentation
The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs offer federal grant opportunities to small businesses for pursuing research and research/development (R/R&D) that has potential for commercialization.
Learn more about SBIR and STTR Funding.
Project Management for Federal Grant Applicants
In this self-paced course, registrants will develop a ten-week plan to complete their proposal by federal agencies' submission deadlines. Weekly assignments include:
- complete required federal registrations
- identify and download relevant funding opportunities
- outline the technical narrative based on evaluation criteria
- develop a budget that follows funding guidelines
Equity capital or financing is money raised by a business in exchange for a share of ownership in the company. Two key sources of equity capital for new businesses are angel investors and venture capital firms. Learn more about investor funding.
State Grants for R&D
- Nebraska SBIR Phase 0 Planning Grants up to $5,000/reimbursement basis
- Nebraska SBIR Matching Grants for Phase I and Phase II up to $100,000 or 65% of federal grant/reimbursement basis
- Nebraska R& D Phase I up to $100,000, 4 to 1 match/reimbursable basis
- Nebraska R&D Phase II up to $400,000, 1 to 1 match/reimtursable basis
Traditional Loan Options
These include traditional bank loans, SBA guaranteed loans and USDA guaranteed loans.
Green Innovation Funding
If you have a innovative idea for a new technology and process to reduce waste, and they're energy oriented, check these funding options out: