Students have the opportunity to work on local projects, develop and grow personally and professionally and to network with other professionals and students on the local level. All interested students with a GPA of 2.5 or higher are welcome to join.
Some of the benefits to joining PEXS are:
- Interacting/Networking with local professionals in the field
- Further development of collegiality among fellow students
- Provides opportunities for professional growth and leadership development
- Instill a healthy personal and professional spirit among the members and the other students in the department or school
- Mentoring by Faculty Advisors who attend every meeting to provide direction
- Increased awareness of available resources and jobs in the field
- Earn money to attend conferences or pay for professional memberships
Just a few of PEXS' activities are: monthly meetings, presentations by local health professionals, community service projects, assisting the School of H&K with the annual H&K banquet, holiday parties and informal gatherings, and participation at conferences such as: WELCOM'S Annual Conference and Awards luncheon, ACSM's National Health and Fitness Summit.
Faculty Advisor: Eddie Panton
Membership in the UNO Public Health Student Association provides students the opportunity to assume leadership roles while participating in professional health education activities.
A number of the projects that the UNO Public Health Student Association sponsors each year are: Trees for Trails (a tree planting project), The Bell Tower Challenge (a food drive for the Omaha Food Bank), A Web of Health (a Website Treasure Hunt for Good Health Resources).
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Richard Stacy