Cutting Edge Technology to Enhance Learning
Check out some of the resources our Geography majors have to help them in their studies and research.
Technology Resources Available to Geology and Geography Students
- Two dedicated computer labs that are shared with Geography (see Geography page for more detailed information).
- Rigaku Mini-flex X-ray diffractometer with computer hookup and software for precise mineral identification
- 12 channel seismic reflection/refraction survey system
- Laser theodelite for precise surveying/mapping
- GPS satellite surveying equipment
- 12'-long stream table for fluvial studies
- Thin section and rock prep laboratory, including saws, grinders, and polishers
- Nikon research petrographic microscope with digital photo set-up
- Extensive rock and mineral sample collections
- Varian ICPMS for trace element geochemistry with microwave sample digestion apparatus, shared with the Chemistry Department
- Teaching/student binocular microscopes and petrographic microscopes