Distance Learning Module 10 - Water Law and Water Treaties
- Afghanistan has no water treaties with any neighboring countries because all old treaties were signed with political entities that no longer exist (British Raj of India, Shah of Iran, USSR).
- The Government of Afghanistan is itself a new government with no prior water treaties.
- New water treaties are required for future intelligent development of water resources.
- Negotiations over new treaties demand an educated set of government officials and hydro-cognizant government advisory bodies.
- In general, lowland civilizations in Asia tended to start in fertile, lowland river valleys far from upland or mountainous water-source regions.
- As a consequence the upland regions developed much later and have remained undeveloped and weaker.
- Meanwhile downstream nation-states want to continue with exactly the same quality and quantity of water delivered downstream.
- This will stop upstream development, which is not fair to upland nation states.
- Fair and fully informed negotiation is required.
Distance Learning Module #10 Sample Questions (click here)
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.