The health and safety of our community continues to be our primary concern in this fluid situation. We thank you for your patience, cooperation and understanding at this time. If you have questions please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|If you need special accommodations, please let us know one week in advance by calling: 402.554.4999 (TTY 402.554.3799) or emailing: email@example.com|
Specific COVID-19 Modifications
- Covid modification – NO before or after care available
- Covid modification - Children will go directly to their classrooms, teachers will discuss Respect Rule and daily operations. Check for masks at door, hand masks out as needed.
- COVID modification - counselors monitor strictly for distancing. Masks mandatory at all times including dismissal.
- Covid modification - Lunch in classrooms; outside – 4 camps at a time, distanced appropriately. Aim for the Stars will not be providing Kool-Aid to drink at lunch as monitoring cups and spigots would be prohibitive.
- Covid modification - Outside activities will be with classmates and mask wearing will be mandatory.
- Covid modification - Field trips - Campers will sit at least one seat away from each other; masks worn. Children must bring own water bottles. Bottles must be labeled with child’s name.
- Covid modification - For water in classrooms and outside - Campers may bring water bottles for classroom and outdoor use. AFTS will have bottled water available for campers outside during lunch. Bottles must be labeled with child’s name.
- Covid modification (but always done) - masks will be assigned at beginning of camp and lenses and elastic will be wiped down with alcohol pads at least daily (or as desired by campers/staff).
- COVID modification - Inside dismissal - will use both rooms and distance campers 4 desks apart.
- Weekly starting Monday, July 12 – August 6 (four weeks)
- 8:30 A.M. - 3:30 P.M. Monday - Friday (each camp is 1 week long)
- 8th - 10th grade camps are ½ days 8:30 A.M. - 12:30 P.M. Monday – Friday
- No camps the week of July 5–9
Camp choices are based on the grade entering in fall of 2021. There are no exceptions to the grade level requirement.
- Totally Cool Math and Science Combo is offered for those entering grades 3 and 4.
- Two camps are for those entering grades 8–10.
- Fourth and fifth graders attend camps together.
- Sixth through eighth graders attend camps together.
All sessions of Aim for the Stars Science and Math Camp begin and end in the Durham Science Center, located on the northwest corner of the Dodge Campus of the University of Nebraska at Omaha (6001 Dodge Street). Handicapped parking is available on the east side of the Durham Science Center. Please see the “Parking” tab at for specific parking directions.
Before and After Care
|We are unable to offer Before or After Care for the summer of 2021 due to distancing and staffing issues.|
Camp capacity is severely limited due to Covid spacing protocols. Camps fill quickly on a first come, first served basis, although there are waitlists available on line; if a camp is full it will be shown as “Full.” Click on “Full” to add your child to a waitlist. There are six spaces on each waitlist for 2021. To check on information regarding particular camps visit aimforthestars.unomaha.edu.
Payment and Cancellation Policy
- Initial nonrefundable payment of $50 deposit to hold a camp is subtracted from the cost of each camp.
- The balance due must be received by 4:00 P.M. Wednesday, June 23, 2021. Payment plans may be set up for those with financial need only. If payment arrangements have not been made or if the full balance is not received within the grace period (ends June 28, 2021), the $50 deposit per camp and reserved camp space(s) will be forfeited.
- Deposits are neither refunded nor applied to another camp or camper’s account.
- Cancellations made within five working days before the camp session will receive no refund.
- A $10 transfer fee is applied on all transfers.
We are unable to provide tuition assistance this year due to lack of funding.
The Aim for the Stars Excellence Fund, at the University of Nebraska Foundation, supports Aim for the Stars. For information on how to contribute to the mission of Aim for the Stars, please contact David Belieu 402.504.3335 direct, 800.432.3216 toll-free, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking at UNO
Safety is of the greatest importance at Aim for the Stars. Parking procedures reflect the combined efforts of UNO Parking Enforcement, UNO Public Safety, and the director of Aim for the Stars to ensure the safety of your children. Please inform those dropping off and picking up children of the instructions and map found on the “Parking” tab on the website: aimforthestars.unomaha.edu. These instructions will be emailed the week prior to the start of your child’s camp.
All campers need to bring a sack lunch daily. Children will need to provide own drink due to COVID-19 protocols. A refrigerator is available in each classroom. An afternoon treat is also provided. Distancing and face masks will be mandatory (except when eating). We will attempt to accommodate children with health issues by providing a comparable alternative snack. You are welcome to send an alternative snack with your child.
The AFTS staff cannot monitor every child’s use of personal technology; therefore, small electronic devices, phones, iPods and the like are to be kept secured in a backpack or purse and not used during camp hours or in before or after care. If the device is being used, counselors and/or teachers will confiscate and send the device to the camp director. It will be returned at the end of the day. No sooner. Safety concerns and the misuse of such technology at camp have led to this policy.
There is a telephone in each room and teachers carry phones on field trips that may be used for emergency calls to parents. Use of cell phones to call or receive calls from parents or others is discouraged during camp hours, including the lunch period. Parents should call 402.554.4999 if they need to speak to a child. We are more than happy to have children use the phone in the classroom if they need to call their parents/guardians.
Family Open House Hours
There will be no Family Night this year due to lack of control over distancing.
Free StuffWith each registered camp, campers receive a t-shirt, a $5 gift certificate to the Science Store and a gift certificate to Hobby Town in LaVista!
Aim for the Stars Summer Camps
Physics Department - 144 Durham Science Center
6001 Dodge Street | Omaha, NE 68182-0266