Student Insurance Policy (UHC)
The major medical student insurance policy is available to UNO undergraduate students enrolled in at least seven (7) on-campus credit hours or degree-seeking graduate students enrolled in at least one (1) on-campus credit hour.
This reasonably priced policy is designed to provide benefits for medical and dental expenses. Participation in this plan is voluntary for domestic students.
All new graduate assistants will receive insurance information. GA's are automatically billed the cost of the subsidized UHC plan to their student account. The UHC student health insurance plan provides health and dental coverage. Instructions on how to enroll or decline the insurance will be sent to your UNO email account. If you do not enroll or decline the UHC student insurance by the deadline stated in the email, you will be enrolled at the end of the waiver period. GA's should refer to their graduate packet for more information or contact Business Systems Tehcnology at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Students and Health Insurance Requirements
All UNO international students and scholars, including ILUNO and IPD students, are required to purchase the UNO student health insurance plan. Students eligible for a waiver for students with a F or J visa must have one of the following:
F1 students must have one of the following to waive coverage:
- Coverage under an approved government sponsored/guaranteed program with a current financial guarantee on file with the University. Approved plans include the following:
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM)
- Embassy of Oman
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Coverage purchased through a U.S. based employer group plan that meets or exceeds the requirements of the Affordable Care Act. Students are also required to provide proof of coverage for unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation of remains, which is not included in most employer plans. If you do not have Global Assistance Coverage or there are limits to what your plan will pay, you may purchase coverage at www.uhcsr.com/unomaha. Please select the Global Travel Services card for more information.
J1 students must be covered for the full term that they are in the U.S. and have one of the following to waive coverage:
- The Select or Elite plan purchased through International Student Insurance
- Coverage under the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)
Instructions on how to enroll or waive insurance will be sent to your UNO email account. IF you do not enroll or waive your insurance by the deadline stated in the email, you will be enrolled in the plan at the end of the waiver period. The cost of the insurance policy will be billed to your student account.
Insurance Open Enrollment and Waiver Dates
Fall 2019 - July 18, 2019 through September 9, 2019
Spring 2020 - November 26, 2019 through January 24, 2020