Student Insurance Policy (UHC)
The major medical student insurance policy is available to UNO undergraduate students enrolled in at least seven (7) credit hours or a degree-seeking graduate student. This reasonably priced policy is designed to provide benefits for medical and dental expenses. Participation in this plan is voluntary for domestic students.
All UNO international students including ILUNO and IPD students on F or J visas who do not have US based insurance provided by a government sponsor will be required to purchase the UNO health insurance plan.
Insurance 101 Videos
Student Policy Information
All new graduate assistants receive insurance information. GA's are offered both a subsidized plan. GA's must return the form accepting the Bronze Plan or decline all insurance or be automatically enrolled in the plan that provides more extensive coverage for less cost. The total cost is added to your tuition statement and paid per semester. GA's should refer to their graduate packet for more information or call the Health Services office.
All UNO international students will be automatically enrolled in the UHC Health and Dental Insurance plan. Waivers will only be reviewed for students who have an active financial guarantee or have a US based employer plan.
- Must be a U.S. based carrier that pays for care in Nebraska
- Deductible must be $500 or less
- Unlimited major medical coverage including pre-existing conditions
- Unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation coverage
- Meets or exceeds Affordable Care Act requirements
- Coverage premium must be paid in full for the entire semester
Each policy will be individually reviewed before a waiver is granted.
- Private policies are not accepted for waiver consideration.
- Waivers can only submitted by following the steps on MavLINK
Insurance Waiver Information
If you would like to waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for fall 2017, please submit this waiver application or check your waiver status. Then follow the steps below:
- Eligible students will see two links, one for waiving their insurance, and one for opting in.
- Click on the "I do not want student health insurance" link on the MavLINK home page.
- On the confirmation page agree to the terms, and click "Submit."
- You will then be directed to the Ascension petition page to enter student information.
- Note: Please disable pop-up blockers and check your UNO email to ensure that you transmission has been successfully sent. Waivers will not be accepted after the 14th day of class and waivers sent after that date will NOT be honored.
Students who are eligible to waive coverage under SHIP must submit a waiver application and all required documentation by the Waiver Deadline Date, September 8th, 2017. Any student who is covered under a health insurance plan that does not meet all of the applicable requirements will not be allowed to waive out of SHIP.
To check the status of the waiver process, verify that the premium has been credited to their UNO student account on MavLINK.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.