Student Insurance Policy (UHC)
The major medical student insurance policy is available to UNO undergraduate students enrolled in at least seven (7) on-campus credit hours or degree-seeking graduate students enrolled in at least one (1) on-campus credit hour.
This reasonably priced policy is designed to provide benefits for medical and dental expenses. Participation in this plan is voluntary for domestic students.
All new graduate assistants receive insurance information. GA's are offered both a subsidized plan. GA's must return the form accepting the Bronze Plan or decline all insurance; otherwise they will be automatically enrolled in the student plan which provides more extensive coverage for less cost. The total cost is added to their MavLINK tuition statements and paid per semester with their student fees. GA's should refer to their graduate packet for more information or call the Health Services office.
International Students and Health Insurance Requirements
All UNO international students and scholars, including ILUNO and IPD students on F or J visas, who do not have US-based insurance provided by a government sponsor will be required to purchase the UNO health insurance plan.
All UNO international students and scholars, including ILUNO and IPD students on F or J visas, will be automatically enrolled through their MavLINK student accounts in the United Health Care (UHC) Health and Dental Insurance plan.
International Scholars on J visas will be required to enroll in the student UHC insurance plan and pay for this policy at the UNO Health Services office in 102 H&K.
Waivers will only be reviewed for students who have an active government-sponsored financial guarantee on file with the university or those who have a US-based employer plan. If you meet either of these requirements, you can submit a request for a waiver. Alternative insurance coverage must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a U.S. based carrier that pays for care in Nebraska
- Deductible must be $500 or less
- Unlimited major medical coverage including pre-existing conditions
- Unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation coverage
- Meets or exceeds Affordable Care Act requirements
- Coverage premium must be paid in full for the entire semester
Each policy will be individually reviewed before a waiver is granted.
- Private policies are not accepted for waiver consideration.
- Waivers can only be submitted by following the steps on MavLINK
Insurance Waiver Information
Waiver portal scheduled to be open July 23, 2018
If you would like to waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for Fall 2018, please go to the "Messages" section in your MavLINK account and follow the steps below.
- Eligible students will see two links, one for waiving their insurance, and one for opting in.
- Click on the "I do not want student health insurance" link on the MavLINK home page.
- On the confirmation page agree to the terms, and click "Submit."
- You will then be directed to the Ascension petition page to enter and attach your alternative insurance information.
Students who are eligible to waive coverage under SHIP must submit a waiver application and all required documentation by the Waiver Deadline Date, September 10, 2018. Any student who is covered under a government-sponsored financial guarantee or US-based employer health insurance plan which does not meet all of the applicable requirements will not be allowed to waive out of SHIP.
To check the status of the waiver process, verify that the premium has been credited to their UNO student account on MavLINK.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.