School of Accounting Mission Statement
The UNO School of Accounting leverages its distinctive metropolitan position to
- prepare students for professional accounting and business careers by delivering AACSB Accounting Accredited and IMA Endorsed BSBA-Accounting and Master of Accounting programs,
- create and disseminate knowledge that impacts students, the academy, and business professionals by engaging in relevant scholarly activities, and
- enrich relationships among students, faculty, and business professionals in the Omaha region by providing and supporting engagement opportunities.
Accounting study at UNO includes emphasis in many areas of accounting to provide individuals with the skills needed for the diverse array of career choices in the accounting field as well as an excellent foundation to pursue CPA, CMA, or other types of certification. Students benefit from affordable access to high quality curricula, faculty, and engagement opportunities in our AACSB-accounting-accredited undergraduate and graduate programs.
Undergraduate students complete required and elective courses in financial and managerial accounting, taxation, accounting information systems, auditing, and governmental and non-profit accounting.
Graduate students choose from four concentration options to focus their 30 credit hours of graduate coursework and further develop their critical thinking, analysis, and other professional skills. Graduates meet the CPA Exam educational requirements in Nebraska.
Internationally Recognized Accounting Education
UNO is the first university in Nebraska to earn the IMA's Endorsement of Higher Education, signifying that the Department of Accounting's management accounting curricula enable students to pursue the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) credential.
IIA Internal Audit Awareness Program
The Institute of Internal Audit (IIA) recognizes UNO's Department of Accounting as an IIA Internal Audit Awareness Program School, acknowledging our inclusion of internal auditing concepts in auditing courses.
- Our Beta Alpha Psi chapter has received the Superior Chapter designation for the past ten years. Beta Alpha Psi is the international honor organization for financial information students and professionals (accounting, finance, and information systems).
- Students take advantage of internship opportunities with local CPA firms and other business, government, and non-profit organizations.
- Scholarships make earning a degree at UNO more affordable for both undergraduate and graduate accounting students.