A Head Start to Your Career
Internships allow students to investigate career opportunities, apply knowledge gained in the classroom, and develop new skills and contacts that will be helpful in securing future employment and graduate school admission.
Students may choose from a variety of host organizations for their internship experience.
Why should you take an internship?
Besides getting a foot in the door with a potential employer and looking good on a résumé, internships have other advantages:
- The opportunity to "test drive" a career (Would I be happier in marketing or advertising? Am I more comfortable working with patients or in a lab?)
- Chances to network
- Establishing relationships with mentors
- Possible college credit or certification
- An introduction to the field's culture and etiquette (Are clients addressed by their first name? Are jeans appropriate for Casual Friday?)
- Accumulating new skills
- Gaining a "real world" perspective on an occupation (How much overtime do employees really work? How much time is spent behind a desk versus in the field?)
How do you land an internship?
Start by speaking with your adviser and pinpointing the type of internship experience you're looking for.
Also, take advantage of the Academic and Career Development Center (ACDC) on UNO's campus.