2020 UNO Service Learning Academy Showcase
We wanted to reach out and update everyone on how the Service Learning Academy will move forward with our annual Showcase. Showcase will still happen this year, however, we are still working on how and when Showcase will take place.
The Service Learning Academy would like to continue encouraging students, educators, and community partners to sign-up! We will have more details in the upcoming days. Thank you for your patience during this time.
The Service Learning Academy Team
Student Presentation Proposal | Faculty and Staff Presentation Proposal | Community Presentation Proposal | Agenda
Join the UNO Service Learning Academy (SLA) for our annual showcase event to celebrate the contributions of students made through service learning and in the community.
The theme for the 2020 Showcase is Student Achievement and Completion Imperative.
This year we are highlighting the various ways in which service learning and experiential learning have positively influenced and changed students’ educational journeys. The Showcase illuminates how service learning has made a difference in the student experience and advanced community-building efforts in the Omaha metropolitan area.
Participants and attendees get the opportunity to:
- Learn about the importance of service learning courses and projects in higher education.
- Celebrate the accomplishments students have achieved through service learning.
- Connect with other civically-minded students, educators, and community members.
- Reflect on educational experiences and discover how to incorporate service learning in higher education.
In addition to our annual faculty and community partner presentations, this year's event also features student presentations! Students who are eager to present the extraordinary work they have accomplished through service learning are encouraged to submit a presentation proposal as described below.6-Minute Student Presentations (Noon to 1:30 P.M.):
- The 6-minute presentation is a unique opportunity where both UNO and P-12 (pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade) students can demonstrate how service learning courses and projects have positively affected and even changed their educational trajectory. The student presentations will be organized similarly to a Ted Talk, but much shorter.
- Students are encouraged to present or attend (This is a plated lunch, please RSVP here).
- Presentation slots are open to both UNO students and P-12 students.
- Students can sign-up on their own or by faculty recommendation.
- Student presentations take place from Noon to 1:30 P.M. during the Student Showcase Luncheon. For more information, view the agenda.
- Five to six UNO student presentations and two P-12 student presentations.
- SLA works with students to provide support in developing presentations (so don’t be discouraged to signup).
- Students will be notified by TBD if they are selected to present for Showcase.
The deadline to submit a presentation proposal on April 6, 2020.
Faculty, staff, and community partners are encouraged to participate in Showcase as described below.Service Learning Poster Session (3:45 P.M. to 5:45 P.M.):
- The poster session will be similar to what it has been in the past few years.
- Faculty, staff, and community partners are encouraged to present on the service learning course they have taught or were part of; we welcome any data or research reports related to service learning.
- Specifically, as we keep in mind the theme for this year’s Showcase event, we are looking for posters that highlight or note the importance of students in service learning courses and projects.
- We encourage participants to consider how their service learning project impacted students’ engagement and their educational experience.
A few things to keep in mind:
- The poster session will take place from 3:45 P.M. to 5:45 P.M., with time to network with other faculty, staff, and community partners.
- Posters should be 48 x 36 inches.
- SLA will print your posters.
- For poster templates, please visit the University Communications website.
The deadline to submit your proposal to present at the 2020 Showcase is April 6, 2020. Presenters will be asked to submit a poster by April 20, 2020.
Faculty, staff, and community partners can also nominate a student presenter. Nominees are students whom you believe can speak to the importance of service learning in education and highlight how service learning impacted them academically.
Student Showcase LuncheonNoon to 1:30 P.M. | Bootstrapper Hall
The annual Service Learning Showcase will begin with the Student Showcase Luncheon. The luncheon will kick-off with a keynote address from Regent Barbara Weitz that emphasizes the importance of service learning in education. The keynote address will be followed by eight, 6-minute presentations created by students that will showcase their experiences with service learning.
*This is a plated lunch, please RSVP. Open to students, faculty, staff and community partners.
Question and Answer Session
After the luncheon, attendees will be able to ask students questions about their presentations.
Service Learning Poster Session and Reception
3:45 P.M. to 4:45 P.M. | Bootstrapper and Centennial Hall
During the afternoon portion of the Service Learning Showcase, attendees will engage in a poster session and reception. The poster session will exhibit work and research conducted by faculty, staff, and community partners through service learning projects. Attendees will also network and connect with their colleagues.
*Refreshments will be provided, please RSVP. Open to ONLY faculty, staff, and community partners.
5:45 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. | Centennial Hall