"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Hundreds of volunteers from the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) and around the Omaha-metro area will honor King by volunteering their time in the MLK Day of Service, today.
UNO’s Office of Civic and Social Responsibility has planned this day of service, running from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., that will leverage the strength of the UNO and Omaha communities to advance King’s dream of opportunity and social justice for all. This year’s partners are Metropolitan Community College, United Way of the Midlands, the Corporation for National and Community Service and Youth Service America.
Projects planned for the 2014 MLK Day of Service include:
- Creating fleece blankets for children served by Project Harmony
- Assisting Habitat for Humanity at area build sites
- Making tie-dye shirts for children served by Project Kindle
- Using recycled t-shirts to make blankets and dog toys
- Designing a mural for Leavenworth St.
- Organizing and sorting books donated for libraries in Cameroon
- Assisting with food drives at local K-12 schools and at UNO
Those interested in helping volunteer for UNO’s MLK Day of Service can visit www.unomaha.edu/serve to sign up. Questions should be directed to the Office of Civic and Social Responsibility at 402.554.4083 or by email at email@example.com.
Media questions should be directed to Charley Reed, UNO media relations coordinator, at 402.554.2129 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related LinksOmaha events honoring Martin Luther King, Jr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Biography
Martin Luther King, Jr. Photographs