- What is Canvas?
- How do I log into Canvas – what is my username and password?
- Is there a recommended browser for Canvas?
- Are there mobile apps?
- Will I be able to move my Blackboard content over to Canvas?
- How do I update my profile in Canvas?
- How do I customize the alerts I receive from Canvas?
- What if I do not see my course in Canvas?
- How do I merge a course?
- How do I copy content from course to course?
- Can I publish my course now?
- How do I use the Calendar?
- Can I change my Notification preferences?
- How do I edit a calendar entry?
- How do I create an assignment shell from the Calendar?
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) developed, in 2011, by the company Instructure. It has similar feature set as Blackboard such as sharing documents, completing quizzes, turning in assignments, collaborating with other students and your instructor. For Spring 2017, 53 faculty have volunteered to use Canvas instead of Blackboard. For more information on Canvas check out https://www.canvaslms.com/higher-education/.
How do I log into Canvas – what is my username and password?
Web Address: http://canvas.unomaha.edu
Username and password is your UNO NetID (account for Blackboard, gmav, box, etc). For more information about your UNO NetID go to: http://www.unomaha.edu/information-technology-services/accounts-and-passwords.php
Is there a recommended browser for Canvas?
Check this link (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1284) for information about browsers and basic computer specifications (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2059).
Are there mobile apps?
Yes! This app is for a student experience but faculty will find some benefits.
- Android Phone: https://community.canvaslms.com/videos/1066
- IOS Phone: https://community.canvaslms.com/videos/1069
Once installed connect the app to UNO Canvas by typing 'University of Neb' and you will see a choice for UNO.
Canvas' Help site talks about Mobile browsers. Check this page for more information https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1542
Will I be able to move my Blackboard content over to Canvas?
ITS is recommending moving tests/quizzes and files from Blackboard (Bb) instead of the whole course. Bb and Canvas are structured differently. During the Canvas pilot ITS discovered this to be the best way to handle moving from Bb to Canvas. You can move the complete course, but pilot faculty experienced having to do as much work if not more when moving the entire course. Here are four videos and pdf documents explaining each option.
How do I update my profile in Canvas?
Start by clicking on the 'Account icon. For more information check out the following help links.
- Video Link: https://vimeo.com/74243735
How do I customize the alerts I receive from Canvas?
You can add additional emails, text messages as well as identify how frequently you want to be updated. Here are links to a video and text based how to’s.
What if I do not see my course in Canvas?
- Log into Canvas
- Click on 'Courses'
- Select 'All Courses'
- Make adjustments as needed
note: If you do not see course make sure you are the instructor on record in mavlink. Every night updates happen from mavlink into Canvas.
How do I merge a course?
- For Summer 2017 complete this form and you will receive an email when the merge is complete. Watch for information for merging Fall 2017 courses. ITS is building an option similar to what you have used within Blackboard.
- If you requested to have courses merged, you will see only one course listed within Canvas. The course name will have Merged in the title along with what you entered in the form.
- Select People from within course and a listing of students appears. There is a column showing the course/section the student enrolled in. You can also view by course/section within the grade book.
- Grades within a course will list all the students from the merged courses. To display students from one of the merged courses select Showing All sections (far right side of screen). This option may assist if you are teaching an undergraduate and honors class and need to give different assignments to students.
How do I copy content from course to course?
The process starts by going to the new course (empty shell) this is the opposite of how course copy works in Blackboard. Watch video or reach instructions for next steps.
Can I publish my course now?
Hold off on publishing a course until content is mostly complete. If you publish course while working on content students will starting receiving lots of emails. Here are instructions for publishing a course.
How do I use the Calendar?
Calendar Overview: https://guides.instructure.com/m/4210/l/40768-calendar-overview-video
Can I change my Notification preferences?
You can add additional emails, text messages as well as identify how frequently you want to be updated. https://guides.instructure.com/m/4210/l/40800-notification-preferences-video