TFA Authentication Methods
DUO Mobile App on phone or tablet
- The DUO App can be downloaded for free from the appropriate app store for your respective device.
- The App generates a one-time use code on your mobile device.
- Internet isn't required to use the code generator part of the app
- Using the App is the fastest way to use Duo Authentication
- Tablets need to be setup by the Helpdesk because of the way they are authenticated
Mobile phone to receive SMS
- This method will send multiple passcodes via text to your mobile device
- Multiple passcodes are sent, but each passcode can only be used once per sign-in
- Cell service is required to receive the original email however passcodes can be used later
Non-Smartphone or Landline
- This method is recommended as a secondary method of authentication
- Duo will call the phone number on file.; you will poress any key on your phone to authenicate.
- Hardware Tokens may be requested through the token request form for Faculty/Staff
DUO Methods Compared
DUO Mobile App : Push
|DUO Mobile App : Passcodes||SMS Passcodes||Phone Callback|
|How it works||Duo's free mobile application displays a login request on your smartphone or tablet. Just tap Approve to authenticate.||Duo's free mobile application generates passcodes for you to complete your login.||Duo sends a batch of login passcodes via text messaging (SMS).||Duo calls your phone. Just press any number to authenticate.|
|Device type||Mobile Phone or Tablet||Mobile Phone or Tablet||Mobile Phone||Mobile Phone or Landline|