gMAV Email & Calendar - FAQ
What is changing?
When will this change occur?
- Migration dates: Friday, March 12 at 10 PM – Monday, March 22 at 12:01 AM
- Dates chosen to coincide with Spring Break (students checking email less during break)
Why was Spring Break Chosen?
How will I access my new MS365 Email Account?
As soon as your account has been created you can access it by using your full university email address i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org at either:
Does the migrate affect how long I keep my email?
The migration has no affect on how long you will keep your email. The length of time you will keep your email is based on your role at the university shown in the table below.
|Undergraduate Students||2 years after last enrollment|
|Graduate Students||4 years after last enrollment|
|Intercampus Students||UNO accounts are removed at the end of their last intercampus approved semester|
|ILUNO Students||Accounts are removed at the end of their last enrolled session|
|Alumni||5 years after the conferral of their degree|
What are the benefits of migrating to Microsoft 365?
- Smoother collaboration with faculty and staff through Teams (including use of direct messaging), Calendaring, Meetings, and SharePoint
- Increased security through common tools
- Easier transition between faculty, staff, and students
- SAP transitioning between different statuses that have caused confusion on which account to use
- Aligns the UNO Student population with the other campus student populations
- Moving to MS365 will help reduce the confusion for students who transfer or take classes at the other campuses
- The alignment will offer better support from ITS as every campus is familiar with MS365
- More available storage
Storage Location Storage Amount Storage Includes Google Suite Storage 30GB for Google Drive Everything connected to the Google account including photos Microsoft storage 1TB for OneDrive
100 GB for email for active students
File storage except for extra email storage
How does this affect access to gMAV Google Suite?
|Google Suite Service||Microsoft Equivalent|
|Google Docs||Microsoft Word|
|Google Sheets||Microsoft Excel|
|Google Slides||Microsoft Powerpoint|
|Google Meet||Microsoft Teams|
|Google Hangouts||Microsoft Teams|
|Google Drive||Microsoft OneDrive|
|Google Sites||Microsoft SharePoint|
Will this affect Faculty & Staff?
This will affect faculty & staff who meet the following criteria:
- They are currently taking classes at UNO
- They have taken a class in the last 2 years (as an undergraduatestudent) or 4 years (as a grad student)
- They have graduatedfrom UNO in the last 5 years
What does this mean for Faculty & Staff affected?
- Email messages and calendar entries will be migrated from gMAV to Microsoft
- Email messages that are currently marked as "unread" in gMAV will show up in their Microsoft Outlook application as "unread" as well, post migration
- Calendar entries from Google Calendar will show up on their Microsoft Outlook Calendar
- If “labels” were used for email messages, these messages will be migrated over into a folder with the same name as the label