Areas of focus include coaching and development, performance review process, reorganizations, HR policy interpretation and administration, disciplinary issues and procedures, training, and employee development.
Professional Training and Development
There are many academic opportunities in a university setting for personal growth and development. In addition to the pursuit of an academic degree and on the job experiences, the following training courses, technology overviews and academic partnerships are available.
We are excited to kick off a new registration process that will automatically send calendar notifications to participants, and house all past completed courses as well as many useful details about the courses. We appreciate the partnership with UNL Human Resources and Nebraska.edu to provide this new registration system! Here is how it works:
- Review the Spring 2019 Re-Imagining U Catalog for the courses you are interested in here. Over 40 courses have been made available for you to view. Please work with your leader to determine which courses will compliment your development.
- When you are ready to register, HERE is the registration system link, select Re-Imagining U UNMC & UNO from the left toolbar then Spring 2019.
- Clicking on the title of the course will take you to the description page where you may add it to your cart (large green button upper right corner).
- Add any courses you want to register for to your cart and then proceed to the checkout using the green Checkout button at the top right of your screen that looks like a shopping cart.
- If you were not already logged in to the Website through TrueYou, you will be prompted to log in. Once logged in, you will be asked to review the courses in your cart. If okay, click on the Proceed to Next Step
- That will process your registration and take you to the Receipt & Confirmation page, where you may print it, then log out.
- You will receive an Enrollment Confirmation from MAILTO:training @UNL.edu. Accept the invitation to add the course(s) to your Outlook calendar.
Please see the Spring 2019 course catalog for additional opportunities. Regardless of location, courses are open to all UNMC and UNO employees and parking solutions have been created at each campus for those attendees from the other campus.
UNO’s NEBRASKA BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER is a department of the UNO College of Business Administration. It provides for business development in Nebraska through management and technical assistance, and professional and organization development to businesses and government for enhancement of employee skills. Current content areas offered include:
- Leadership Development
- Project Management/Agile
- Business Analysis
- Office Technologies
- Lunch and Learns
- Process Improvement
- Supply Chain Management
These programs are available to employees of University of Nebraska (UNL, UNO, UNK & UNMC) at a 25% discount. NBDC course catalogs are published four times per year and are available at the UNO Information Counter in the Eppley Administration Building and the NBDC offices in MH 200.
Where employees are assigned training by a department, NBDC accepts payment through internal charges. University of Nebraska employees who wish to take training on their own still receive the 25% discount and may pay by check. Please contact Kim Harter to process your registration using the UNO 25% discount. (Online classes are excluded from this discount.)
Visit the website at:
Recognition and Service Awards
Employees are one of UNO's greatest assets. We recognize employee performance, service and outstanding contributions in a variety of ways. We offer the following formal recognition:
- Employee of the Month
- Employee of the Year
- Spirit of Service Award Program
- Staff Advisory Council Award. The Staff Advisory Council is an employee resource group open to all UNO employees.
- Retiree and Service Award Gifts
Performance Management is not a one-time occurrence. It is a continuous cycle of planning, managing, and reviewing employee performance in which communication is key.
Managers will determine performance expectations and objectives as well as expectations around job competencies and key behaviors required for individuals on their team.
Employees will work with their managers to understand expectation, establish performance goals, and plan their personal development.
Performance is documented in the performance evaluation. See the UNeVal Flowchart ,the Evaluator Guide and the Employee Self-Evaluation Process. You may also watch the Video UNO Online Evaluation Process
Managers and supervisors occasionally need to inform employees that they are not meeting expectations. The university follows a standard process that is structured to assist the employee in order for them to be successful in their position.
Information for Employees Leaving UNO
We value the opinions of our employees and to understand more about their employment experience at UNO, we offer and exit interview. The purpose is to gather information that helps make UNO a more productive, positive, and rewarding work place.