Areas of Focus
Some things we can help you with include:
- Coaching and development
- Performance review process
- HR policy interpretation and administration
- Disciplinary issues and procedures
- Employee development
Professional Training and Development
There are many academic opportunities in a university setting for personal growth and development. In addition to the pursuit of an academic degree and on the job experiences, the following training courses, technology overviews, and academic partnerships are available.
Re-Imagining U: Spring 2020 Courses Available – Register Now
Your 2020 vision for professional development begins here with Re-Imagining U’s Spring 2020 catalog of courses!
Choose from a variety of courses and join the 2500+ past attendees as we celebrate the Re-Imagining U’s third year! This collaborative employee training and development program, organized by UNO and UNMC Human Resource Offices, offers courses on both campuses February through May. Here is how it works:
Please see the Spring 2020 course catalog for additional opportunities. Regardless of location, courses are open to all UNO and UNMC employees and parking solutions have been created at each campus for those attendees from the other campus. As with any development opportunities, employees will need approval of their managers to attend these courses, so that office/department needs can be met while they are attending training.
• Review the Spring 2020 Re-Imagining U Catalog for the courses you are interested in. Please work with your leader to determine which courses will compliment your development.
• Register for courses, and select Re-Imagining U UNMC & UNO from the left toolbar, then Spring 2020.
• Clicking on the title of the course will take you to the description page where you may add it to your cart (large green button upper right corner).
• Add any courses you want to register for to your cart and then proceed to the checkout using the green Checkout button at the top right of your screen that looks like a shopping cart.
• If you were not already logged in to the website through TrueYou, you will be prompted to log in. Once logged in, you will be asked to review the courses in your cart. If okay, click on the Proceed to Next Step.
• That will process your registration and take you to the Receipt & Confirmation page, where you may print it, then log out.
• You will receive an Enrollment Confirmation from training@UNL.edu. Accept the invitation to add the course(s) to your Outlook calendar.
Nebraska Business Development Center (NBDC)
Located in UNO's College of Business Administration, NBDC provides business development in Nebraska through management and technical assistance, and professional and organization development to businesses and government for enhancement of employee skills. Current content areas offered include:
- Leadership Development
- Project Management/Agile
- Business Analysis
- Office Technologies
- Lunch and Learns
- Process Improvement
- Supply Chain Management
Review the current NBDC catalog
These programs are available to employees of University of Nebraska (UNL, UNO, UNK & UNMC) at a 25% discount. NBDC course catalogs are published four times per year and are available at the UNO Information Counter in the Eppley Administration Building and the NBDC offices in 200 MH.
Where employees are assigned training by a department, NBDC accepts payment through internal charges. University of Nebraska employees who wish to take training on their own still receive the 25% discount and may pay by check.
Please contact Kim Harter to process your registration using the UNO 25% discount. (Online classes are excluded from this discount.)
Visit the NBDC website
Recognition and Service Awards
Employees are one of UNO's greatest assets. We recognize employee performance, service, and outstanding contributions in a variety of ways. Work units may together use the Recognition Matrix in order to let each other and their unit leader know how they like to be recognized. Please save this form on a shared drive in your unit for usage. Note: If units choose to use this matrix, it is optional and university funds should not be utilized for any purchases.
We offer the following formal recognition:
- Employee of the Month
- Employee of the Year
- Spirit of Service Award Program
- Staff Advisory Council Award. The Staff Advisory Council is an employee resource group open to all UNO employees.
- Retiree and Service Award Gifts
Performance Management is not a one-time occurrence. It is a continuous cycle of planning, managing, and reviewing employee performance in which communication is key.
Managers will determine performance expectations and objectives as well as expectations around job competencies and key behaviors required for individuals on their team.
Employees will work with their managers to understand expectation, establish performance goals, and plan their personal development.
Performance is documented in the performance evaluation. Below are some helpful links:
Managers and supervisors occasionally need to inform employees that they are not meeting expectations. The university follows a standard process that is structured to assist the employee in order for them to be successful in their position.
Information for Employees Leaving UNO
We value the opinions of our employees and to understand more about their employment experience at UNO, we offer and exit interview. The purpose is to gather information that helps make UNO a more productive, positive, and rewarding work place.