Faculty Forum on Creating Civil, Inclusive, and Safe Classrooms
A Faculty Forum was held on December 5 for faculty to discuss concerns. Additional information and discussions will be shared on our website as it becomes available.
This discussion helped to identify strategies and other supports that can assist in creating classroom environments that are civil, respectful, and safe for discussing, investigating, and challenging diverse perspectives, concepts, and ideas.
Ideas and information gathered at this time will be used to design programming and resources to develop and apply pedagogical strategies and to further the conversation among the campus community
Faculty Resources for Difficult Dialogues
The information below seeks to assist faculty to feel more confortable in leading difficult conversations by encouraging reflection on how these discussions connect with learning goals, and providing strategies as well as resources that faculty can utilize to maintain control and facilitate productive conversation in their classes. We encourage you to review these resources and feel free to contact our office at 554-2427 for additional information or assistance.
In addition, Chancellor Christensen outlined numerous UNO campus resources that both students and faculty may find valuable.
- Chancellor Christensen Message
- Breaking Silence: Difficult Dialogues at the University of Nebraska-Omaha
- Breaking Silence: Difficult Dialogues at the University of Nebraska-Omaha (Part 2)
- Difficult Dialogues at the University of Nebraska-Omaha Resource Guide
Other Difficult Dialogues Resources
- Difficult Dialogues Basics
- Difficult Dialogues Specific Tools and Strategies
- Safe Spaces, Difficult Dialogues, and Critical Thinking
- Start Talking - A handbook for engaging difficult dialogues in higher education
Difficult Conversations / Situations Resources
- At Issue: Classroom Management and Safety, An Annotated Bibliography
- Classroom Civility: Creating a Culture of Respect
- Discussion as a Way of Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Democratic Classroom
- Five Strategies for Managing Conflict in the Classroom
- How to Talk About Hot Topics on Campus: From Polarization to Moral Conversation
- Managing Hot Moments in the Classroom