Welcome New Students!
Welcome to the Grace Abbott School of Social Work for Fall 2020! Academic Advising is an important part of student success. In preparation for Fall 2020, please consider the following.
MSW Students: Click on the appropriate video for academic advising specific to your program format. Beginning May 01, 2020, MSW students should schedule an academic advising appointment in MavTrack.
Foundation In-Person Program (63 credit hours)
Foundation Online Program (63 credit hours)
Advanced Standing In-Person Program (39 credit hours)
Advanced Standing Online Program (39 credit hours)
BSSW Students: Click here to make your advising appointment in MavTrack. If you have already met with your advisor and understand your Fall 2020 plan, you do not need to make an additional appointment.
Schedule an Advising Appointment
If you are a declared pre-social work, or formally admitted undergradaute (BSSW) or graduate (MSW) social work student, you can schedule an appointment online to meet with your advisor here.
If you do not fall under one of these categories, please email an academic advisor directly.
Enrollment permits are issued in the order in which they are received, unless special circumstances (as determined by your academic advisor) apply.
Not every request for an enrollment permit is approved. For example, your permit request may be denied if:
- you do not meet the pre-requisite(s) of the course
- you do not meet the requirements of the section
Using SOWK 2120-001 as an example, SOWK 2120 is the course, and 001 is the section.
Basic scenarios in which an enrollment permit may be approved:
- You tested out of the course pre-requisite by passing a waiver exam.
- With your academic advisor's help, you obtained approval to take a course from the GASSW Program Committee.
- You want to take a course out of sequence, and your academic advisor is supportive of this.
- The catalog description of the course indicates: "permission of the school is required."
- The section is closed, and a waitlist is not offered.