Become a Participant
We are looking for additional participants! Read below about our eligibility requirements and click on the button to the left to fill out an application.
The Minority SURGE Capacity in Disasters project will focus two grand challenges: the underrepresentation STEM racial and ethnic minorities in hazards and disaster research and the disproportionate impacts of disasters on underserved racial and ethnic minorities.
- Increase the number of minority graduate researchers in STEM field with a disaster focus,
- Develop and guide well-trained, qualified disaster scholars from STEM fields,
- Provide academic and professional mentorship for next-generation minority STEM scholars in hazards mitigation and disaster research, and
- Develop professional and research opportunities that involve outreach and problem solving for vulnerable communities in the U.S.
- Enrolled in a graduate degree program in a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) field
- Individuals enrolled in social science graduate programs are also eligible to apply
- Interest in hazards and disaster research
- Interest in using research to give back to communities disproportionately impacted by disasters
- Member of a historically under-represented racial and ethnic minority group in the U.S.
- Access to professional development training
- Guidance through academic workshops to assist you through the graduate school process
- Participation at national conferences and workshops for hazards and disasters research
- Sponsorship and advocacy from seasoned scholars in the field through our unique mentorship network
- The SURGE development and launch pilot is funded for 2 years.