Become a Participant
The Minority SURGE Capacity in Disasters project will focus two grand challenges: the underrepresentation STEM racial and ethnic minorities in hazards and disaster research and the disproportionate impacts of disasters on underserved racial and ethnic minorities.
- Increase the number of minority graduate researchers in STEM field with a disaster focus,
- Develop and guide well-trained, qualified disaster scholars from STEM fields,
- Provide academic and professional mentorship for next-generation minority STEM scholars in hazards mitigation and disaster research, and
- Develop professional and research opportunities that involve outreach and problem solving for vulnerable communities in the U.S.
- Enrolled in a graduate degree program in a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) field
- Individuals enrolled in social science graduate programs are also eligible to apply
- Interest in hazards and disaster research
- Interest in using research to give back to communities disproportionately impacted by disasters
- Member of a historically under-represented racial and ethnic minority group in the U.S.
- Access to professional development training
- Guidance through academic workshops to assist you through the graduate school process
- Participation at national conferences and workshops for hazards and disasters research
- Sponsorship and advocacy from seasoned scholars in the field through our unique mentorship network
- The SURGE development and launch pilot is funded for 2 years.