Certificate in Emerging Nonprofit Leadership Courses
Emerging Leadership and the Role of the Nonprofit Manager
Understanding and practicing leadership in a managerial role is essential to achieving the mission, vision, and goals at each level in the organization. This course will provide you with guidance for the transition into leadership, and introduce you to the different roles managers play. You will also be introduced to practical tools that will help you develop the leadership and management skills and knowledge needed to develop strong teams and drive positive results for your organization.
Understanding Yourself and Your Leadership Style
This course is all about YOU—your personal leadership and management style, skills, and areas for growth. Class time will be spent in group exercises that will help you better understand how your style and preferences mesh with those of others. In addition, you will begin to recognize how your background and life experiences influence your preferences, style, and values as a leader and manager.
Leading People, Managing Diversity
This course provides a comprehensive perspective on the responsibilities, skills, and knowledge needed to effectively lead and manage groups and teams. It provides a basic understanding of the various legal requirements, activities, and functions associated with the management of personnel within an organization. You will learn how to effectively manage difficult employees and stakeholders from different cultures and generations. You will learn how to write a job description, perform recruiting interviews, and train people for new positions.
Leading Teams: Together Everyone Achieves More
This course offers a practical guide to developing teams and using them to accomplish organizational goals. It also focuses on the manager’s role in developing collaborative leadership, particularly as it relates to your organization and its projects and activities. You will also learn about types of teams and the five stages of team development. In addition, the course will address meeting management and how to effectively manage conflict and change.
Leading through Better Communication: Stop! Think! Communicate!
This course will help you as a manager to understand the importance of good communication in work environments. You will discuss what is involved in effective communication, (e.g., message, active listening, comprehension, feedback). Email and Internet etiquette, and organization policies on internal and external communication will also be addressed.
Creating an Ethical Environment
This course offers a practical guide to ethical decision-making. Through readings, group discussion and case analyses, you will learn to recognize ethical dilemmas and gain skills to approach them with honesty, sincerity, and confidence.
About the Courses
NOTE: Each class must have at least 15 registrants to be held.
- All courses will be held IN PERSON on the UNO campus. All courses will be one eight-hour day.
- We are also available to do in-office training for your organization if your management wants to train 10-15 people on site.
- Each course will be delivered in ways that actively engage participants in dialogue with experts and each other on major issues in management. Participants will be given readings and other assignments before class that will not be covered during the session, but which they will be expected to use in class exercises (e.g., reverse instruction).
- Courses will involve some online pre- or post-class work. You will be trained in the online software that will be used.
- Courses will be scheduled once a month. Should you wish to complete the entire program, you may do so in six months.
- The courses are designed to build on each other throughout the six months. However, you may take them out of sequence if that meets your needs.
The cost of the full program is $1,500 for six comprehensive courses. The fee to take one course at a time is $300.
Ready to Enroll?
Contact Ellen Freeman-Wakefield at 402.554.2636 or firstname.lastname@example.org to kick start your Certificate in Emerging Nonprofit Leadership today!