With an area of concentration in Communication Studies you will study public speaking and communication, both verbal and nonverbal, in a variety of settings. Communication Studies is a broad, diverse field of study with practical applications.
|Concentration Requirements (Blocks 1 & 2)*||30 hours|
|CMST 2010 Interpersonal Communication OR CMST 2410 Small Group Communication and Leadership||3 hours|
|CMST 4510 Persuasion and Social Influence||3 hours|
|3 hours to be selected from the following:||3 hours|
|CMST 3130 Speech Communication in Business and Professions|
|CMST 3140 Advanced Public Speaking|
|CMST 3520 Interviewing|
|CMST 3150 Intercollegiate Forensic Activities|
|Additional 21 hours from Communications Studies (CMST)||21 hours|
|Block 3||15 hours|
|Comprised of a complementary or separate area of study than the Concentration (Blocks 1 & 2)|
|Elective hours as needed to reach 120 total credit hours|
|University General Education||40 hours|
|Learn more about general education requirements|
|TOTAL DEGREE||120 hours|
* Must include at least 12 hours of upper level credit completed at UNO
- An optional allied field of up to 9 hours may be taken from Journalism and Media Communication (JMC).
- CMST 1110 cannot be used in this concentration. No course from a two-year institution which is also offered as an upper level course at UNO can be used in the area of concentration.
- The School of Communication requires a 2.25 or higher grade point average in all courses numbered 3000 or higher.
- Students interested in graduate studies should contact the graduate chair in the School of Communication to make sure necessary classes are taken to enter graduate programs.
|Students with an area of concentration in Communication Studies may find careers in:|
|• Public Relations|
|• Human Resources|
|• Social Services|