LGBTQIA+ Leadership Opportunity
The Midlands Sexual Health Research Collaborative (MSHRC), has expanded their programming by launching Huespring, a leadership institute to support the professional development of LGBTQIA+ identified individuals from the Omaha area and Midwest region.
Through Huespring, Scholars and Mentors are matched for a 7-month leadership development experience. The goal is to cultivate thriving LGBTQIA+ communities in the Midlands through mentorship support, professional development, and community training.
Five communtiy events featuring nationally-known speakers will be held throughout the 19-20 year to celebrate and support the first Huespring Scholar-Mentor cohort.
Community Events Schedule:
- Oct. 17 | The Venue at Highlander featuring Louie A. Ortiz-Fonseca, Director of LGBTQ Health and Rights at Advocates for Youth
- Dec. 12 | Love's Jazz & Art Center featuring Dr. Stacy Smallwood, Associate Professor of Community Health at Georgia Southern University
- Feb. 6 | Location and Speaker TBA
- April 16 | Location TBA featuring Jabari Lyles, LGBTQ Affairs Liaison in the Baltimore City Mayor’s Office
- May 28 | Location and Speaker TBA
Training Seminar Schedule for Scholar-Mentors:
- Oct. 18 | Healthy & Equitable Mentor-Scholar Relationships
- Dec. 13 | Clarifying Vision
- Feb. 7 | Effective Collaboration
- April 17 | Community Involvement and Awareness
- May 29 | Challenging Yourself, Others, & the System
Meet the 19-20 Huespring Scholar-Mentors:
- Daniel Alaniz & Mentor Philana Blakely
- Darryl Brown Jr. & Mentor Melissa Breazile
- Katie Kough & Mentor Heather Holmes
- Tommy Young-Dennis & Mentor Lydia R. Cooper
- Lanae Hall & Mentor Abra Poindexter
- Espen Schofield-Smith & Mentor Jo Springer.
- Elena Salisbury & Mentor Dominique Morgan
- Jo'Von Pickens & Mentor Candace Bloomquist.
- Eric Singleton & Mentor John Jeanetta
- Sarah Cohen & Mentor Joe Shaw
- Emily Parker & Mentor Amanda Gaither
This project is supported by the Equality Fund through the Omaha Community Foundation, the Weitz Family Foundation, Cox Communications, and the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Want more information? Please contact MSHRC Co-Director Dr. Sofia Jawed-Wessel at email@example.com or 402-554-3433.