Leadership is the ability to make positive change.
The Department of Educational Leadership offers graduate programs leading to the Master of Science Degree in Education (MS), and the Joint Doctoral Degree in Education (EdD, in conjunction with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln). The department also provides a non-degree administration endorsement program for students who have completed a master's degree.
The department's degree and endorsement programs have a distinctive Metropolitan education orientation and are designed to prepare educators capable of providing effective leadership, particularly in metropolitan school districts.
- Over 50% of school administrators (principals, assistant/associate superintedents, superintendents) in the Omaha metropolitan area have earned one or more degrees from UNO
- Since 1986, 170 Doctor of Education in educational administration degrees have been awarded—74 candidates are currently completing dissertations
- Partners with the Metropolitan Omaha Education Consortium—participating on each of the task forces and supporting the Midlands Superintendents' Academy
- The department recently has six international students from the following countries: Thailand, Spain, Oman, Cameroon, and Saudi Arabia
- The EDL Department was honored with the Dedication to Social Justice Through Education Award by the UNO American Multicultural Students Allies TRUST for continuing commitment to raising skills, awareness, and dispositions of educational leaders for work in PK-12 schools