Fall - March 1
Spring - October 1
Summer - March 1
- Apply to the UNO Graduate College, indicating your desire to be accepted into the counseling degree program. Click to apply for admission.
- After your application and transcripts are received by the Admissions Office and you are admitted as a graduate student the Graduate College will forward your application to the Department of Counseling.
- Applicants will be selected to attend a group interview by a faculty panel. Admissions decisions will follow.
- Contact our graduate assistants with admission questions at 402.554.2764. The Department of Counseling will provide you with additional information about the application procedures and assist you through the process. Be sure to ask about deadlines! Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more details.
- Bachelor's degree
- 9 semester hours in behavioral sciences or closely related fields for Clinical Mental Health and Student Affairs applicants. Can be completed concurrently with the program.
Program-Specific Admission Requirements:
- Official transcript of all attended universities
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogy Test (MAT) official score reports
- *May be waived if an advanced degree has been completed
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- *Must be from persons who can speak for the candidate's professional competence and academic ability
- Current Resume or CV
- Statement of Purpose, maximum 2 pages in length, double-spaced, to include the following information:
- Reasons for pursuing the counseling profession
- Any relevant experience
- Personal career goals
- Why UNO's Counseling Program would be a good fit
- Group interview