The Maverick Marching Band
About the Maverick Marching Band
The Maverick Marching Band regularly entertains audiences across campus and travels extensively throughout the region performing in exhibition to thousands of high school students, parents, community members and the like. Members of the MMB have performed at the Holland Center for the Performing Arts, major community events, parades (including for a Presidential Inauguration), and the Midtown Crossing outdoor performance space in downtown Omaha as part of the End-of-Summer Concert Series sponsored by UNO. Interested in joining?
The MMB is mostly non-auditioned and includes: Piccolos, Clarinets, Alto/Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, Mellophone/F. Horn, Trombone, Baritone, Tuba/Sousaphone, Percussion, Color Guard, and Twirlers (audition required). The Maverick Marching Band rehearses in the fall semester on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons from 4:45 PM-6:15 PM at the UNO Center Dome facility (shuttle service provided to/from rehearsals). All members of the Maverick Marching Band receive at minimum a $250 scholarship for their participation. Maverick Marching Band members must report to campus for Preseason prior to the start of classes.
- Apply and be admitted to the University of Nebraska at Omaha. If you are a non-UNO student that wishes to participate, please contact the Director of Athletic Bands, Dr. Joshua Kearney, directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Maverick Marching Band Registration form
- Complete the supplemental forms linked here. Students under the age of 19 will need a Parent/Guardian to complete these forms. You may download and complete PDF hardcopies of the forms, if you prefer.
- Due to academic and medical privacy laws, the electronic forms are hosted on Submittable. You will be asked to create a free account if you do not already have one.
- You may pay your discounted $15 materials fee at this link.
- In the month prior to Preseason Camp, you will be contacted by Athletic Bands staff with further information regarding the 2020 Preseason Schedule, instrument and uniform checkout, supplies, etc. You may also find much of this information below under "2020 Season Information"
- UNO Students must register for marching band in MavLINK. The course number is MUS 2750.
- If you are interested in becoming a UNO MMB Twirler, you must complete an audition.
2020 Season Information
- Pre-season will be held virtually in the 2020 season (click here for more information)
- Medical and Image Release Forms
- Materials fee payment page
PDF Forms may be returned to the following address:
|Dr. Joshua Kearney
UNO School of Music
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha, NE 68182
Who can join the UNO Maverick Marching Band?
Membership in the Maverick Marching Band (MMB) is open to all students on the UNO campus. Instrumentalists in the MMB should have a moderate level of experience on a traditional band instrument. The MMB also includes Twirlers (audition required) and the UNO Color Guard (non-auditioned). You do not have to be a music major to participate! Members of the Maverick Marching Band have represented nearly all academic disciplines on campus. Non-UNO students are eligible for participation on a case-by-case basis. Email Dr. Kearney at email@example.com for more information about participation as a non-UNO student. The MMB uses the following instruments: piccolo, clarinet, alto and tenor saxophone, trumpet, mellophone/horn, trombone, baritone, tuba, front ensemble/pit percussion, and standard battery marching percussion (snare drum, bass drum, tenor drum, cymbals).
Is there a Preseason Camp for members in the Maverick Marching Band?
Yes! This year, the preseason camp will be held virtually. Students will not be required to come to campus. Details forthcoming. Percussionists and color guard should not report in person on their originally scheduled camp dates.
Do I have to audition to be a member of the MMB?
Instrumentalists and members of the Color Guard do not have to audition to participate in the MMB. MMB Twirlers, however, are selected based on a successful audition.
Am I able to move into UNO Student Housing/Dorms early in order to participate in Preseason Camp?
Becuase the 2020 Maverick Marching Band preseason camp will be virtual, early-move in is not necessary.
Do members of the Maverick Marching Band receive a scholarship?
Absolutely! Due to the generous support of the University, the UNO Athletic Bands are pleased to offer ALL UNO student members of the MMB a minimum $250 scholarship for their participation.
What if I don't own a flag, piccolo, mellophone, tenor saxophone, marching baritone, or tuba?
No worries! The UNO Athletic Bands have an extensive array of instruments available for check-out in order to participate in the Athletic Band program. Some instruments/equipment will be made available for students to check-out if desired prior to the start of the virtual preseason experience.
When and where does the MMB rehearse?
Typically, the MMB rehearses in the fall semester on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons from 4:45-6:15 PM at the Center Dome on UNO's campus (6808 Spring St, Omaha, NE 68106). More details regarding the regular 2020 MMB rehearsal schedule will be made available soon.
Is there a cost to participate in the MMB?
This year, the materials fee has been significantly reduced to accomodate students and families that are experiencing hardship. This year's fee will be no more than $15. This will include the modified marching band uniform pieces supplied by the UNO Bands.
Can I still do marching band if I'm an engineering major because of the conflict(s) that arise during Preseason Camp?
Yes! Let Dr. Kearney know of the conflict early so that accommodations can be made.
Can I still participate in marching band (MUS 2750) if I know I may miss some rehearsals because of my scholarship?
In most cases - yes! Let Dr. Kearney know of any potential conflicts in advance so that any appropriate accommodations can be made.
I am a Music Education major at UNO. Am I required to participate in the MMB?
All Wind/Percussion Music Education majors must participate in the MMB for 2 semesters in order to fulfill their degree requirements. String Music Education majors must participate for 1 semester, and there is no requirement for Vocal Music Education majors to participate in the Maverick Marching Band.
Help! You didn't answer my question!
Please direct further questions to Dr. Joshua Kearney, UNO Director of Athletic Bands, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.