OMAHA – The University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Business Administration and University of Nebraska Foundation hosted a special event on Nov. 3, 2016, to celebrate the college’s founding dean, Dr. John Lucas.
Students, staff, faculty, donors, friends and family members gathered to honor Dean Lucas’ vision and lasting legacy as well as see the new statue of Lucas, located on the southeast corner of Mammel Hall.
In addition to the statue unveiling, sixteen new members of the Lucas Society were recognized for their generous support of CBA, its students, faculty and programs:
- Ruth and Dennis Duffy
- William and Marjorie Hockett
- Joe and Maxine Kirshenbaum
- John C. Morgan
- Charles T. and Denise A. Olson
- Omaha Steaks
- Richard F. Ortman
- Virginia Ruth Pettengill
- Janet T. and Louis G. Pol
- Rob A. and Mary Jo Randels
- Ruth and Bill Scott
- Security National Bank
- Ted M. Seldin
- Karla and Robert Stowe
- Alfred G. and Beverly A. Thomsen
- Valmont Industries
Induction into the Lucas Society, established in 1988, is the highest honor bestowed on supporters of the UNO College of Business Administration.
The event also featured remarks from Louis Pol, John Becker Dean, CBA; Larry Trussell, Dean Emeritus, CBA; and Alfred G. Thomsen, CBA alumnus and donor.
About Dean Lucas
An Ohio native, John Lucas arrived at the University of Omaha in 1938 as a professor of business administration. As the university and its business program expanded, Lucas took on administrative duties, serving as department head and dean of students simultaneously.
In 1952, the Division of Business Administration received full college status, with Lucas at the helm as dean.
During his deanship from 1952–1969, Lucas led the college through significant advancements, including its initial accreditation by the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business in 1965, and positioned it as an important influence in Omaha’s business community.