Urban Health Opportunities Program-Pre-Medicine
Urban Health Opportunities Program: Pre-Medicine
|Mission||Program Highlights||Eligibility Requirements|
|Program Commitments||UNMC Admission Criteria||APPLY NOW!|
The purpose of the UHOP program is to diversify the urban Nebraska healthcare workforce by identifying and preparing qualified students from underrepresented groups to enter and succeed in health professions training.
UHOP scholars will include those considered underrepresented by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- Tuition assistance at UNO starting freshman year for UHOP scholars
- Automatic UNO Pre-medical Committee sponsorship
- Mentoring by UNMC medical students
- MCAT preparation assistance
- Opportunities to provide mentorship
- Successful program completion results in guaranteed admission to the UNMC Medical Doctorate (M.D.) program
Requirements for UHOP Pre-Medicine Eligibility
- Apply as a high school senior
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- Nebraska Residency
- High School GPA ≥3.25 and ACT Composite and Math Score ≥24
- Recommendation letters
- Demonstrate a strong interest in a career of medicine
UHOP Pre-Medicine Program Commitments
- Full-time enrollment at UNO
- Community volunteering
- Participation in summer enrichment programs at UNMC or UNO
- Quarterly meetings with a UHOP peer mentor
- Maintain a minimum cumulative and BCPM GPA
- Completion of specified UNO classes
- Maintain Pre-medical Committee sponsorship
UHOP Pre-Medicine Criteria for Guaranteed UNMC Admission
Successful candidates will meet all program requirements during undergraduate study while maintaining a 3.5 cumulative and BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics) GPA, and achieve a minimum score on the MCAT.
To access and complete the scholarship application:
- Sign in to AcademicWorks, the University’s scholarship management system. (You must first be admitted to the university to access this site.)
- Complete and submit the General Application Questions for university-wide scholarships.
- Apply for the Urban Health Opportunities Program: Pre-Medicine scholarship in AcademicWorks.