University Pre-Med Committee
Many universities, including UNO, have formed Pre-medical Committees to help students achieve their goal of admittance to medical school. Receiving Committee sponsorship is vital as many medical schools preferentially select applicants who are Committee sponsored; some schools require Committee sponsorship.
General Minimum Requirements for Committee Selection*
- As a pre-medical student, you should aim to accomplish these requirements as soon as possible.
- • Cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater
- • Completion of Organic Chemistry I with a C+ or greater
- • Completion of at least 10 science credit hours (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) at UNO
- • Completion of at least one half-day of physician shadowing
*Students lacking one or more requirements may still request Sponsorship: see the application for more information.
Apply to the Pre-Med Committee
Students should seek Pre-med Committee sponsorship as soon as they are eligible. UNO students who are selected for Pre-medical Committee sponsorship are assigned a faculty mentor to help their medical school preparations. In addition, sponsored students are eligible to engage in additional mentoring, shadowing, and other training opportunities.
To apply, download the Application Form and closely follow the instructions.
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges:
"Medical schools value committee letters because they provide an integrated and institutional perspective on an applicant’s readiness for medical school. They provide a comprehensive evaluation of applicants based on direct observation and the synthesis of information provided by faculty and others. This integrated perspective provides unique and valuable information about applicants." (AAMC Guidelines for Writing a Letter)
To receive a committee-authored letter, download the Letter Request Form and closely follow the instructions. Important recommended timelines for your application and other requirements are outlined on the form.
Only Committee-sponsored students are eligible to receive a Committee letter. Nearly all medical schools consider the single committee-authored letter as sufficient for completing the letter of reference requirements. You are encouraged to review the Committee Letter Format.
Members of the UNO Pre-medical Committee:
- Dr Paul Davis, Biology (Committee Chair)
- Dr. William Tapprich, Biology
- Dr. Christine Cutucache, Biology
- Dr. Jeffrey French, Neuroscience
- Mr. Bradley Jezewski, Biology
- Dr. Richard Lomneth, Chemistry
- Dr. Karen Murch-Shafer, Biology
- Dr. Mark Pauley, IS&T Bioinformatics
- Dr. Jim Rogers, Mathematics
- Dr Brigette Ryalls, Psychology
- Dr. LaReesa Wolfenbarger, Biology
- Dr. Katie Langenfeld, Biology
- Dr. Janelle Beadle, Gerontology
Current UNO Committee Sponsored Students
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.