Getting Into the Right Chemistry Course
For some students, starting your studies in Chemistry at the General Chemistry I (CHEM 1180) and its corresponding lab (CHEM 1184) level is advantageous. Placing into CHEM 1180 +1184 allows you to skip CHEM 1140 +1144, and get started on the Chemistry courses you'll need. This is true for students who are interested in:
- Being a Chemistry Major
- Being a Biology or Biochemistry Major
- Being an Analytical Sciences concentration in Environmental Studies
- Being any other major that requires advanced Chemistry
- Finishing Pre-Health prerequisites that require advanced Chemistry
To take CHEM 1180 + 1184, you'll need any ONE of the following:
- ACT Math subscore of 25 or above
- Math COMPASS Exam Placement of 6 or above
- The completion of Math 1320 or 1340 or 1360 with a C- or higher
- Completion of CHEM 1120 (with a B- or greater)
- Completion of CHEM 1140 (with a C- or greater)
- Math 1310 (with a C- or greater) and Chemistry Diagnostic Test* placement into 1180
* The Chemistry Diagnostic Test (CDT) is no longer offered, but if you have taken it in the past, the Chemistry Department will honor your scores.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.