Chemical Safety Emergency
- Lab identifies spill, release, fire or explosion involving hazardous material.
- Lab contacts Public Safety at 402.554.2911.
Be prepared to state:
- your exact location
- your name
- the hazardous material and quantities involved
- a brief description of incident
- a call back number where you may be reached
3. Public Safety contacts the fire department/HAZMAT unit, as needed.
4. Public Safety dispatches Officer(s) to perimeter of scene.
5. Public Safety Officer(s) isolates the scene, restricting and/or rerouting all activities.
6. Public Safety or Emergency Coordinator identifies:
- Exact source and location
- Hazardous material and quantity
- Extent of release (onsite/offsite)
7. Public Safety or Emergency Coordinator is responsible for:
- Arranging for first aid, if needed
- Determining if the Contingency Plan is neeed.
- For events not requiring activation of the Contingency Plan – such as a small spill which does not pose a hazard to human health and the environment–coordinate mitigation.
- For events requiring activation of the Contingency Plan – such as a large spill or in waste storage area – take overall scene management responsibilities.
Our Campus. Otherwise Known as Omaha.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.