Chemical Safety Emergency
- Lab identifies spill, release, fire or explosion involving hazardous material.
- Lab contacts Public Safety at 402.554.2911.
Be prepared to state:
- your exact location
- your name
- the hazardous material and quantities involved
- a brief description of incident
- a call back number where you may be reached
3. Public Safety contacts the fire department/HAZMAT unit, as needed.
4. Public Safety dispatches Officer(s) to perimeter of scene.
5. Public Safety Officer(s) isolates the scene, restricting and/or rerouting all activities.
6. Public Safety or Emergency Coordinator identifies:
- Exact source and location
- Hazardous material and quantity
- Extent of release (onsite/offsite)
7. Public Safety or Emergency Coordinator is responsible for:
- Arranging for first aid, if needed
- Determining if the Contingency Plan is neeed.
- For events not requiring activation of the Contingency Plan—such as a small spill which does not pose a hazard to human health and the environment—coordinate mitigation.
- For events requiring activation of the Contingency Plan—such as a large spill or in waste storage area—take overall scene management responsibilities.