I sat down to interview ALAS President, Jan Benitez to learn more about the organization at UNO.
1. Tell me what ALAS is about.
It is the Association of Latino American Students and we are the Latino leadership organization at UNO. Our focus is to empower Latinos and others at the University level by getting involved at UNO and the community.
2. What made you want to become involved with ALAS?
It seemed like a good organization to work with the Latino community and to be involved.
3. Who can be a member of ALAS?
We are open to all UNO students.
4. Why should students join ALAS, and what will they gain from being a part of this organization?They will be able to connect with the Latino community in different ways, such as volunteering, attending workshops and other events that we have.
5. What do you hope to gain out of being the President of ALAS?
A connection with the members and a friendship throughout my future.
6. What are some activities that you would like to see ALAS be a part of?
Get more involved in sports activities.
7. What do you do to promote ALAS?
Through the involvement fairs at UNO, Durango Days and high school visits to raise awareness in the Latino community.
8. Where does ALAS meet?
In the Milo Bail Student Center Tower Room on Wednesdays at 12:00pm.
Now some fun facts about ALAS President, Jan Benitez!
1. What would your super power be if you had one?
To fly, it would be easy to travel!
2. If you could have any animal what would it be?
Something furry like a Husky puppy.
3. Pick one word to describe yourself.
4. Do you have any weird habits?
Not that I know of?
5. What is your favorite smell?
6. Netflix or Redbox?
7. If you could have any type of car, what would it be?
8. What is your favorite movie quote?
“There’s a snake in my boot!”-Woody (Toy Story)
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. Learn more about Equity, Access and Diversity.