DEI Faculty Advisory Committee
A Culture of Belonging
The DEI Advisory Committee focuses on building a culture of belonging for and among faculty at UNO. It is comprised of a diverse group of faculty representatives who are actively engaged in developing strategies for an inclusive and equitable working environment.
The committee works closely with the Office of Academic Affairs and is charged with identifying and prioritizing DEI-related initiatives and establishing action plans for the campus. Early on, the committee identified six focal areas:
- Faculty searches and recruitment
- Faculty retention, campus climate and workplace environment
- Lived experiences of faculty in the community
- Supporting faculty in working with students from underrepresented groups
- Faculty leadership and professional development
- Faculty advancement and recognition
Learn more about how the Office of Academic Affairs is engaged in fostering an inclusive and equitable campus environment.
DEI Advisory Committee Members - 2020-21:
|Theresa Barron-McKeagney||CPACS Dean's Office|
|Candice Batton||Academic Affairs|
|Jonathan Benjamin-Alvarado||Student Success|
|Julie Dierberger||Service Learning Academy|
|Dale Eesley||Marketing and Entrepreneurship|
|Mark Foxall||Criminology and Criminal Justice|
|Ann Fruhling||Interdisciplinary Informatics|
|Janice Garnett||Educational Leadership|
|Matt Hale||Interdisciplinary Informatics, Faculty Senate|
|Barbara Hewins-Maroney||Goodrich Scholarship Program|
|Chris Kelly||Gerontology, Faculty Senate|
|Amy Schindler||Criss Library|
|Kris Swain||Special Education and Communication Disorders|
DEI Action Plan 2020-21
In 2019-20, the DEI Advisory Committee identified topics that are central to an equitable and inclusive campus environment for recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty body. The committee finalized priorities in a detailed action plan that prioritizes work for 2020-21. The committee will lead efforts on behalf of the faculty in four areas:
- Implement faculty search and recruitment guidelines through peer mentoring, assisting with training and professional development, and resource development.
- Develop student and faculty mentoring.
- Enhance faculty professional development expectations and opportunities.
- Gather, summarize and share DEI-related data with the campus community.
Looking ahead, what do we want for faculty diversity, equity and inclusion at UNO?