BSSW (undergraduate) program
Students may apply for formal application to the BSSW degree program upon completion of approximately 50 credit hours. The deadline for application is March 1 for admission for the following fall semester (the start of the junior year). Admission to the BSSW Program is competitive, based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Completion of pre-professional courses with a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.50 or higher;
- Successful performance in the two pre-professional social work courses (SOWK 1000 and SOWK 1500) with a grade of B or better;
- Positive references and a well written personal statement evidencing potential for successful practice in the field of Social Work; and
- Resume (including any volunteer experience).
Admissions Instructions and Forms for the BSSW Program
MSW (graduate) programs
The UNO MSW Program welcomes your interest in applying to the program. The entire graduate admission process is on-line. Your application for admission will not be available for review by the School of Social Work until all requested information has been received and uploaded by the Graduate Office. The deadline for your application is January 15, 2013, for Fall 2013 admission to the program. All transcript requests, letters of reference requests and the rate of return of requested information may determine whether your application is available for review by the School of Social Work Admissions Committee. It is our recommendation that your application be completed well in advance of the January 1 deadline to ensure that your completed file will be reviewed for application to the program. Once you have applied for the program you may check the status of your application and if all materials requested are at the Graduate Office. If you have questions about the status of your application please contact Graduate Office at (402) 554.2341.
Admission to the MSW programs is competitive, based on the following criteria – click here for more information:
- Undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 2.75,
- Three letters of reference,
- A personal essay indicating potential for successful practice in the profession of Social Work,
- A resume (include your paid and volunteer human services experience, awards, honors),
- GRE scores (only required if applying to the MSW/MPA or MSW/MPH dual degree programs).
The application process will be completed online. You will have 60 days to complete your online application once you have started the process. To begin, go to graduate studies website at http://www.unomaha.edu/graduate. Then complete the following steps:
- Click on “Programs” (at the top of the page).
- Click on “Apply for Admission” (menu on the left side of page).
- Click on “Fall 2013” in the “How to Apply” section.
- Input all requested data, including the program to which you are applying. Be prepared to submit either a credit card or other method of payment for application fee.
- Print out “Request Transcript” forms for all undergraduate institution you attended. Follow each educational institutions requirements for requesting transcripts be sent to UNO.
- Upload your Personal Statement and Resume in pdf format.
- Be prepared to identify 3 reference writers including their e-mail address. The UNO Graduate Office will request a letter from the identified reference writer. The reference writer will be able to electronically e-mail their letter to the Graduate Office. Please be sure to follow up with the reference writer, some agency spam filters may prevent your reference writer from being notified to respond with a reference letter to UNO Graduate Office.
- Periodically check on the status of your application with the Graduate Office at (402) 554.2341 to be certain that all requested information has been received by the Graduate Office.