1. Bomb threats usually occur by telephone.
2. The person receiving a bomb threat should remain calm and attempt to obtain as much information as possible from the caller by using the checklist given below.
3. Call Campus Security at 4-2911, giving your name, location and telephone number. Inform them of the situation, including any information you may have regarding the location of the bomb, time it is set to explode and time when you received the call.
4. If you should spot a suspicious object, package, etc., report it to Campus Security, but under no circumstances should you touch it, tamper with it or move it in any way.
5. If instructed to evacuate, move a safe distance away from the building (a minimum of 100 yards). If inclement weather conditions exist you may move to another building a safe distance away. Do not re-enter the building until instructed that it is safe to do so.
BOMB THREAT CALL CHECKLIST
1. If you receive a bomb threat call 4-2911, immediately WRITE DOWN THE EXACT WORDING OF THE THREAT:
2. If the caller is willing to talk, ask the following questions:
a. When will the bomb explode?
b. Where is it right now?
c. What does it look like?
d. What kind of bomb is it?
e. What will cause it to explode?
f. Why did you place the bomb?
Attempt to answer the following questions:
a. Sex of caller____ Young____ Middle Aged____ Old____Accent____
b. Caller's voice:
well spoken ________ irrational __________ incoherent __________ calm _____________ loud _____________ foul _______________ slow _____________ excited ____________ laughing ___________ soft ______________ drying ____________ disguised ___________ distinct ____________ slurred ____________ other _____________
c. Background sounds:
street noises ________________ house noises _________________ voices ______________________ motor noises _________________ PA system __________________ office machinery ______________ clear _______________________ factory machinery _____________ other _______________________
4. Report the bomb threat immediately to Campus Security, phone number 4-2911.
5. Give your name, address and telephone number.