Goal 1: UNO will be recognized as a student-centered metropolitan university.
As we strive to achieve our vision, students are always UNO’s key constituency. UNO commits to build and serve a
diverse student body reflecting a dynamic metropolitan environment.
- Sub-Goal A: UNO’s academic programs, advising, and support services will reflect the varying and
evolving academic, career, and personal goals of traditional and non-traditional students.
- Objective 1: Curricula will provide a strong academic foundation.
- Objective 2: Student development, goal identification and attainment will be in the top tier of UNO’s
- Objective 3: Student’s ease of transfer into UNO from community colleges, four-year colleges and
universities as well as international institutions will increase.
- Objective 4: Distance education and other alternate delivery methods will increase accessibility and
flexibility of academic programs consistent with student demand and resource availability.
- Sub-Goal B: UNO students and graduates will be prepared for responsibility as active and productive
citizens as demonstrated by their leadership, participation, and careers in diverse environments throughout the
nation and world.
- Objective 1: UNO’s intellectual, cultural, physical and social learning environment will foster
pride, attachment, and participation of students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
- Objective 2: UNO’s distinctive intellectual, cultural, physical and social learning environment will
strengthen academic programs, leadership opportunities, self development, and growth for all students.
- Objective 3: UNO students will measurably benefit from the opportunities in and interaction with the
- Objective 4: Employer satisfaction with UNO graduates will increase significantly, as will
graduates’ satisfaction with preparation and opportunities for employment.
- Sub-Goal C: UNO will increase the educational opportunities for students from under-represented
populations. UNO will:
- Objective 1: Increase recruitment, retention, and graduation of students from under-represented
- Objective 2: Increase recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty and staff.
- Sub-Goal D: UNO will increase its success in recruiting students desiring a metropolitan university
experience. UNO will:
- Objective 1: Increase the percentage of high school students in the top 10 percent of their
graduating class who enter UNO.
- Objective 2: Increase the percentage of high school students who consider UNO their first university
- Objective 3: Increase the percentage of post-baccalaureate students who consider UNO their first
choice for graduate education.
- Objective 4: Increase the percentage of non-traditional students who consider UNO their first
- Objective 5: Increase the percentage of UNO enrollments in comparison with all higher education
enrollments in the metropolitan area.
- Sub-Goal E: UNO will foster an environment that attracts and develops students, faculty, and staff
of diverse talents and backgrounds. UNO will:
- Objective 1: Recruit and support underrepresented students from Omaha and the metropolitan region.
- Objective 2: Design, maintain, promote and assess programs and services designed to recruit and
develop student, faculty, and staff of diverse talents and backgrounds.
- Objective 3: Demonstrate and assess a welcoming environment based on a community of learners and an
appreciation of differences.