2012.12.12 > For Immediate Release
contact: Charley Reed - University Relations
phone: 402.554.2129 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Security Reminders for Winter Break 2012
Omaha - As classes conclude and students prepare to go on Winter Break, the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) would like to remind students, faculty and staff about staying safe both on campus and off:
UNO reminds members of the Maverick community that crime can occur anywhere and at any time. To best prepare against these threats, UNO Campus Security provides a number of general safety tips:
- There is safety in numbers. Make sure you have someone with you if you do not feel safe in a particular area.
- Report suspicious and unusual activity to Campus Security at their emergency number, 402.554.2911, or the Omaha Police by calling 911.
- Lock your car and take your keys with you; do not leave your car idling with the keys inside.
- Use Operation I.D. to uniquely identify your property so it can more easily be recovered if it is stolen. Campus Security offers free engraving services for this purpose. - Don’t leave personal belonging unattended.
- If you use ride a bike or motorcycle, make sure to safely secure your vehicle with a chain and proper lock.
- Shut your doors and windows tightly and lock them.
- If you are leaving your apartment or home unattended, use blinds or curtains to cover your windows.
During UNO’s Winter Break, the campus will be closed for the holidays from Sunday, Dec. 23 to Tuesday, Jan. 1; however, members of the UNO Campus Security team will be on campus providing regular patrols. Campus security will also provide complementary vehicle services for stalled or locked vehicles, flat tires and gas, as well as personal escorts while on campus.
If there is an emergency on campus, contact campus security’s emergency number (402.554.2911). Campus Security can also be notified via the emergency button on UNO’s mobile site. If you have a non-emergency, you can reach Campus Security at 402.554.2648.
Blue Light Emergency Phones
Campus Security can be contacted for emergencies through any of the Blue Light Emergency Phones, which can be found at the following locations:
- NE of Arts and Sciences Hall
- NW corner of Lot T
- NW corner of Lot U
- NW corner of Lot V
- SE of Criss Library
- W of Sapp Fieldhouse
- N entrance and SW corner of Lot G
- SE of Allwine Hall
- SW of Milo Bail Student Center (MBSC)
- NE corner of Lot D - MBSC Computer Lab
- MBSC 24-Hour Study Room
- University Village (2 locations)
- Maverick Village (5 locations)
- Lot J (2 per level)
- UNO Child Care Center
- S of Roskens Hall
- SW of Weber Fine Arts Building
- NW and SE Corner of Lot N
- NE corner of Lot O
- SE corner of Lot 2
- SW corner of Lot 4 - NW of Scott Residence Hall
- N and S of the Scott Business and Technology Development Center
- NW corner of lot 9 - Scott Village (6 locations)
- N of Mammel Hall - SW of Mammel Hall
- SW corner of Lot 14 - Scott Court (2 locations)
- W of the Dome Texting
UNO provides access to an off-site, mass notification system that will send out emergency messages via SMS text.
This is a voluntary, opt-in, capability that requires a subscription, which can be found at: http://www.e2campus.com/my/unomaha.
Anonymous Tip Hotline:
UNO also provides the ability to provide an anonymous tip via SMS Text. The program, called U-Tip, is part of the E2Campus system. There is no need to register to use this function.
Those wanting to send an anonymous tip to Campus Security should enter “79516” into the address box and “UNO911” into the message box before proceeding with your message. An example would be: “UNO911 possible car break in west of DSC.”
* Campus Security also reminds those on campus that the tip line is to be used only for very specific situations where privacy or discreetness is required. *
Specific Security Procedures
As part of UNO’s general security policies, Campus Security provides procedures and suggestions for specific events that might occur on campus.
These procedures can be found online at the UNO Campus Security page, or at these individual links:
- Active Shooter
- Bomb Threat
- Medical Emergency
- Crime in Progress
- Major Maintenance Emergency
For those needing directions, UNO provides easily accessible and interactive campus maps on its main unomaha.edu page and its mobile site. If there are any other questions about security on or off campus, you are encouraged to call UNO Campus Security (402.554.2468); phone lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Follow UNO's Twitter updates at www.twitter.com/unomaha. Become a fan of UNO on Facebook: www.facebook.com/unomaha. Watch UNO on YouTube: www.youtube.com/UNOmavTV.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is Nebraska’s metropolitan university. The core values of the institution place students at the center of all that the university does; call for the campus to strive for academic excellence; and promote community engagement that transforms and improves urban, regional, national and global life. UNO, inaugurated in 1968, emerged from the Municipal University of Omaha, established in 1931, which grew out of the University of Omaha founded in 1908.
© 2015 University Communications. voice: 402.554.2129, fax: 402.554.3541, email@example.com